Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: -$595 in one 2 hour live session ($1/$2 blinds)

Re QQ hand (now that it's a little more detailed in my other post)... how often would i have to be correct about my suspicions to fold profitably?

I put him on two pair or a flopped, slowplayed, set, rather than on a straight. I was wrong, but still behind.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:15 PM

David, I'm going to be a little rougher on you than the other posters... You played brutally.
Losing 132 bets/hr isn't a good way to make money. However, 2.25hrs is nothing, especially 11 handed live. That was probably 85 total hands - not many. Also, if you go on tilt after playing such short sessions, don't play B&M, stick to online, as you can make hit and runs casually from your very own bed! Onto the hands...

Hand 1: Don't play 96s. It's been said. Once you've played it...
[ QUOTE ]
For the most part, I'm crushing the table's hand selection .

[/ QUOTE ]

Your flop raise, as said, is bad because it's a good way to lose the most when behind, and it really cuts out alot of hands you dont mind in. Sure, you "had the charge the draws," but with 3 of one suit initially, it might already be there! Think of how many cards will either kill your hand or kill your action: An ace, 10, 5, or any heart.

The time to make the move is on the turn - in reality, if these guys are folding TP xK on this board to your raise, your raise is essentially a bluff... Think about it.

Once the turn is a safe jack though I'd lose my money there, too.

Hand 2: Tough beat.

Hand 3: I can understand your philosophy of your raises not getting any respect, thus cranking it up to 30$, but why chose AJs? I understand they will call you with worse aces, but its a tough hand to play postflop if you whiff and so much $ behind preflop. I dont mind a raise here, just methinks you overdid it.

On the flop when he leads 100 at you... Oof. I'm not folding it here, so your only real option I guess is to push, it's hard to put them on A4. Thing is if they play A4 they're it's likely they have top pair with you with a worse kicker, so the push aint all that bad. In a different game folding AJ there isn't bad.
I'm glad it was A4 sooted though, off suit that's a horrible PF call.

Good luck to your BR, switching to live is MUCH different (from what I've experience lately) then online.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Hand 1 - You're raising a 3-flush flop w/ bottom 2-pair is just a losing proposition or a bad habit, IMO. Best way not to be in this situation is, as everyone mentioned, not to play that hand to start with... You're only hope to win money on that hand, I think, is to flop a full house, a non-2-flush straight, trips with nothing higher, top two pair, or a straight flush. Wow - talk about low odds! I know your calling station was tempting to raise on this flop too but seriously, calling stations love suited hands (as indicated by hand 3!)...

Hand 3 - Re-raising the $100 flop bet was a big aggressive here for me. Anyone behind you could've been playing AK, AQ and had you beat. I, uhhhhh, certainly don't put a guy on an A4s or A9s lol...

I could be way off base here though - I'm just thinking that, if I were playing these hands, those plays would be a little suspect when I drove home without money in my pockets...

And I don't think you're underfunded at all for these games...
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 - Re-raising the $100 flop bet was a big aggressive here for me. Anyone behind you could've been playing AK, AQ and had you beat. I, uhhhhh, certainly don't put a guy on an A4s or A9s lol...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... If I could have called all-in, that woudl have been great... but I still had a bunch left.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 PM

If you dont mind me asking, where was this played in Ontario? Was this a home game or B&M?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:02 PM

make your hand histories more accurate.

For example, in hand 2, you said turn was a blank, but obviously it wasn't since it paired up the board. you don't even say what cards flopped. did top card pair on the turn? did mid card pair on the turn?

I find that all 3 hands were played pretty bad, with hand 1 and hand 3 the worst.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how often would i have to be correct about my suspicions to fold profitably?

I put him on two pair or a flopped, slowplayed, set, rather than on a straight. I was wrong, but still behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still managing to confuse me, because in the QQ hand the villain turns out to have made a set on the turn, right?

A little bit of fun with poker calculator suggests that if we seriously assume that the villain has either made a set on the flop or turn, or has 2-paired up on the flop or turn, plus we rule out really unlikely 2-pair holdings like J2o, then your pot equity on the turn is only about 13%. So if you know the other guy to be tight and the sudden $50 bet from him to represent at least 2 pair, then you have to fold.

We need the guy to be pulling a crazy move, or to just have top pair to your overpair of queens, about 35% of the time (rough guess) before your equity starts to look at all healthy.

The more I think about this hand, the more I think I'd fold against a passive opponent. (Maybe results are swaying me.)
Old 11-29-2004, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He had turned a set (I found out once he rolled his hand), but I didn't think that he'd have paid $50 to try to hit his set.

Therefore I put him on a slowplayed set or two pair.

As I said, I was wrong about my read, but still behind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My gut was telling me to fold this hand, but I didn't listen.

I looked at the board and I didn't know if the guy was just playing tough with TPTK or something... that's why I ended up calling... that and I married the hand PF.

[ QUOTE ]
So if you know the other guy to be tight and the sudden $50 bet from him to represent at least 2 pair, then you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shieza! I don't know if I like that.

(on a positive note, though, did I just break the censor?)

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about this hand, the more I think I'd fold against a passive opponent. (Maybe results are swaying me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he called me on the flop, I put him on a weird straight draw. I thought he might have been bluffing on the turn. I had been mentally preparing myself to go all in on the turn and take down the pot before I even saw the card. Not a good thing.

He seems pretty solid, but his call on the flop wasn't very good.

There was a lot of money in the pot, both relative to the stacks and the bet that he made: I figured that going all-in was superior to calling and giving him cash to hammer at me on the river.

I figured (perhaps incorrectly) that walking away would be giving up too much. If I took a moment to think about my chances against his likely hands, I suppose I should have folded.

I'm not sure if I could have actually done it, though. QQ is hard to lay down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 PM

I'll do my best to make the hand histories more accurate in the future.

The turn didn't pair anything, he Turned wired trips.

OOC, is there a difference between trips and a set? I just would like to know so that I don't confuse anyone (or myself) in the future.

Mind if I ask what was bad about hand 3?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:44 PM

ah, thats what confused me.

yes there is a difference between trips and set.

set is when you have pocket pair and you make 3 of a kind with 1 on board (what happened in your situation).

trips is when you have 1 card but make 3 of a kind with 2 on the board ( what I thought happened).

In that case hand 2 is fine.

I don't like the $30 reraise preflop with AJ in hand 3. only 1/3 of the time do you pair up A or J on the flop. even if you pair up an A, I'm not sure you can be confident that you have best kicker, although at a table this loose perhaps you can.If a J flops, you have to hope its J high flop. So even the 1/3 of the time where you do pair up on the flop, you still don't feel that great about it. Thats my main complaint about hand 3.

Also, fold to his $100 flop bet. I mean, are these guys really that loose to be betting $100 in to a preflop reraiser with AT, A8,A7,A6,A5, etc.....?

the fact that you have AK must have certainly ran through his mind. your preflop raise inadvertently gave you some info, now use that info and fold the flop.