Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 01:18 AM

Default -$595 in one 2 hour live session ($1/$2 blinds)

I'm not sure where small stakes ends and high stakes begin, but there's really only 1 person at the table that would survive at a high stakes game, so I'm posting it here.

This was my experience at a 2.25 hour session at a live game in Ontario.

I set a new record for most I ever lost in a session: $595. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The biggest donator at the game had been playing quite a bit better, but still pretty terrible.

For the most part, I'm crushing the table's hand selection and I'm playing fairly good pf in terms of position (relative to the other players' positional play).

The blinds are at $1/$2 and the buy in was roughly $200 per person, though I bought for 3 and a few bought for 1. It was a full, 11 player game.

I may be slightly under-rolled for this game: ordinarily we play for $100 buy-ins, and my roll was $3250 or so (it's now $2650).

For the first hand, I was on just a little bit of a tilt. I played this PF horribly, but other than that I THINK I did okay.

Please comment on my 3 posted hands. Stack sizes aren't shown (or known, precisely) but on all hands I go AI and cover my opponents, so you can get an idea of stack sizes.

Basically I'm not 100% sure how I should be playing things like 2 pr and overpairs... even whether or not you think I played the draw well.

I put the old dude on a draw to the flush (though the bet size that he called made this unlikely, he ordinarily chased smaller bets) when I made my AI play. He actually had the entire flush though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The reason I made such a large raise with AJs was that my $10 raises weren't getting enough respect, so I figured that $30 would be a better number. I realize that this is a large bet relative to the blinds though.

---------------

Hands:

1)
Dealt 96s in UTG+2, called. It was raised to 5 or 10
behind me, and I called vs like 6 players. Flop is
A96s. A young guy bet 25, I raised to 100, and an old
calling station (chasing gutshots) called. The young
dude folded (he later told me that he had A6). The
turn was a J, and I bet all in for like 175. The old
dude called and flipped a straight. I missed my boat.
($285)

2)
I had QQ utg, bet 10, got 5 callers. I bet 50 on the
flop, and got one caller to my right. The turn was a
blank, he bet 50, and I put him all in for $45 more.
He called and turned over trips that he'd turned. I
can't feel too bad about this one.
($155)

3)
I was dealt AJs from late position. I raised to 30
after a bunch of people had called 2 and one person
made it 5. I got 4 callers. The flop was and A94
with two of my suit. Someone bet $100 and I put the
guy all in for $150 more. He turned over A4s for two
pair, and I didn't hit my J or flush. Again, not too
bad, though I suppose I could have been vs. a set.
($280)

Total: ($720)

------------

Was I too loose, with huge bets with the moderately good hands?

I'm actually not feeling too bad about this. I think I played pretty solidly, though I could be wrong.

The only effects of tilt due to getting bitched around
were:
-I played a hand very weakly (checked bottom pair
through the flop when it was checked to me).
-I played that 96s hand... it's a quite weak hand and
in poor position... after pf I think I did okay.

-Dave.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:37 AM

Default Re: -$595 in one 2 hour live session ($1/$2 blinds)

#1) What kind of straight did the guy with an AJ96 board??
#2) Where were you playing? I was thinking I might play some B&M NL if I could find somewhere close to play near the GTA.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:39 AM

I'm really tired and have an awful headache, but for the life of me I can't figure out what two cards make a straight on a board of AJ96. Am I crazy?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:41 AM

hand 1) 96s is definitely a tough hand to play out of position, so flop preflop.

hand 2) ok

hand 3) Looks close, against a non-set, you're not really in bad shape. How 'tight' or 'rockish' is the $100 bettor? If the bettor is a SUPER-ROCK who would only call a small pocket pair preflop to your initial raise, you have a tough fold here. However, against a typical player who play any ace, you have value to go all-in here. As a matter of fact, in your stated hand, you're actually a marginal favourite against a made two-pair.

I wouldn't lose sleep on hand 2 and hand 3, you played them all right.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really tired and have an awful headache, but for the life of me I can't figure out what two cards make a straight on a board of AJ96. Am I crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I win the race.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
#1) What kind of straight did the guy with an AJ96 board??

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a flush, sorry. (flop was a96 of the same suit (A96s))
Old 11-29-2004, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1) 96s is definitely a tough hand to play out of position, so flop preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, for sure. I'm going to attribute this to a slight bit of tilt rather than academic failings. Other than that, what do you think of the hand?

[ QUOTE ]
hand 3) Looks close, against a non-set, you're not really in bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, last night i figured that I was in good shape even when we rolled the cards. However, it wasn't til this morning that I remembered that the board could pair a non-ace, non-four to let me take it down... pretty damn good chances.

Basically, I'm worried that with my QQ hand I should have figured I was up against someone who flopped a set or turned two pair, and whether or not I should have folded with basically two outs. I could be up against a bluff, and I was pretty committed to the pot. I don't know if I should have called instead of gone all in though.

I just posted hand 3 to make sure. It was kinda hard after losing that much cash to keep my head on straight. It's a lot of money for me, and represents a serious obstacle to the roll that I'm trying to build. I'll plug away at them next week, though, and we'll see what happens.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:02 AM

This is definately not high stakes. Anyway, on to the commentary...

#1, be accurate about what you post here. You should be thinking about these things at the table too. don't say A96s, that can mean a lot of things. Actual suits would be nice here. In hand 2 we don't even get a board to put your oppoenent on a range of hands. Hand 3 is the only one reasonbly accurate and well played.

Ok, so on hand one, let me get this straight. You flop bottom 2 on a coordinated monotone board and apparently try to make the field face a $100 bet. While the line of thinking is good here, namely charging the draws, there are couple flaws. #1, any set or flush behind will, no matter what, call. Secondly, I am somewhat shocked that A6 folded there, but he was right. Generally in these LL B&M NL games all 2 pairs are calling here, plus the PFR may have AA, or KK /QQ/JJ with the K/Q/J of the suit, or AK/AQ with the Q/K of the suit that needs charging. The problem is that your raise here doesn't have many hands that you feel good getting called, whereas when you're called you hemmorage money.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:23 AM

Sorry to hear about the losing session. Heads-up horse action is clearly your forte.

(Apologies, no serious contribution to add to what others have already said. Don't know how to play hand 1 as I wouldn't be caught dead with it, hand 2 is hard to get away from, and hand 3 I would have done the same.)
Old 11-29-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A96s

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, I meant A96 of hearts on the flop, and a J not of that suit on the turn.

I was really tired when I posted the hand: an example: I made the mistake of saying that the guy had a straight when he had a flush. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Again, sorry about that.

You're right about hand 2... The board was something like 953 rainbow. The turn was a 7 that made two to a flush, and of course made a straight possible. The guy paid A LOT to see his straight, though, so I figured that this was a two pair betting at me. Regardless, I pushed him in for the rest of his chips, just in case he was on a draw... didn't want him to have leverage to bet if he hit the river. Should I have folded my queens instead?

The results are a little hazy, because it was a B&M game, and my memory isn't that great to begin with... not a good thing for a poker player.

I agree with you that my main problem had was the one where I had two pair vs. the board with a made flush and draws to straights. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the comments.

--Dave.