Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: too agressive? checked twice to me..

The "stop and go" really only works if you're first to act on the flop, and generally when you're calling a raise, so basically from the button or in the blinds. Although you CAN do it from UTG, if you are called by the SB or BB and they check or come out betting, you're in a bit of a quandary. So, no, here I'd push all-in.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:35 PM

I do not think your strategy will work. An 800 bet leaves you with 550, so in effect you are pot and stack committed. It should come as no surprise to your opponent that you push your remaining 550 on the flop. It should not represent that you hit the flop to a decent player. Maybe to a $10 SNG player, but I doubt it.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:34 PM

ok thanks I guess Ill just push from now on.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:16 PM

I think this is a pretty bad push. You likely have the best hand right here, and as long as he's checking the crap out of this hand, just chk it down. The thing with the push is, you are only getting called if you are behind.

But yeah, probably allin this hand preflop and lose to a coinflip (or allin this hand on the flop). Although it's really weird he checked the turn to you, I'm not gonna lie.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 AM

Helios,

You are on to something, don't listen to anyone on here when you feel you have a good idea. I have seen some of the most rediculous folds in every level of SNG play. I really do think there is some value to raising a hand like this to 800 and committing the rest of the stack regardless of the action. First of all, if you have T1300 or whatever, and bet 800 (I would suggest something even more dramatic like 1000), you often appear to opponents as having a hand that wants a call. And sometimes, on rare occasions, opponents will actually call the pfr and fold on the flop. It's obscene, but it can happen. I'm not sure how these certain people think when they do fold, but I do know that it happens.

I think against a good player, this type of play is meaningless--just shove preflop. But I've been experimenting in the 215s when I declare a person in my mind to be suspicious/bad with plays like this. I've had very good success it seems with just outright stealing blinds (it is a very odd raise to handle), and I have actually gotten people to fold on the flop once or twice. It can also throw off some of the regulars. I swear they fold more often when I do this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So please, experiment, report, etc. Don't let someone take this idea and shut it down. When I come up with more conclusive thoughts about this type of issue I'll post them.

-Jason
Old 11-29-2004, 06:46 AM

Oh, I definitely agree it can work, but if one of the blinds calls you then your position is going to be bad on the flop, that's all.