Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: mirage 10/20: which part was worse?

Folding preflop for the 3rd bet would be quite comical.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:18 PM

When I folded the pot was 7 BB. The thought process in my mind was why risk 2 BB to win 8? I would have to be able to beat 1 out of 4 hands that he would 3 bet the field with (remember it wasnt just me) preflop. When he 3-bet I put him on the range of 77-AA, AQs, AK, AKs. At this point I could only beat 77, 88, 99, JJ, QQ, KK. I ruled out JJ, QQ, and KK from the flop play and it was down to 77, 88, 99.

So why not wait for a better spot than TPGK to call 2 bets with where I am likely beat.

Here is some semi-results: When he mucked he was a little careless and I saw that his bottom card was paint. Which means he couldnt have 77-99 and AA. I think in the end it was AK or AQ.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:39 PM

I agree, A-K or A-Q(s) seems the most likely hand, with KcQc (did you see a color?) a remote possibility. As for waiting for a better spot, that is irrelevant: either this spot is +EV or it's not. For me, a better option would have been to bet the turn which would probably have defined where he was at.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:01 PM

the preflop call is automatic. post flop, you could bet, but with 4 opponents, and the preflop raiser to your left i doubt i would. his check on the flop, most like is ak, maybe aq, could also be a set of Ts, even with 2 hearts. he knows you raised preflop, he knows a heart draw is not going away on the flop. he could be thinking "see what the river brings and hopefully if no heart that preflop raiser will bet out and 'll to raise on the expensive street (not saying this is correct, but it is possible.) my guess without knowing the player is ak, the check on the flop, especially after you raised preflop is telling to me. i expect your were beat, and i think your fold was strong. what does he 3 bet with preflop to shut more people out with then play that way post flop? 99, 88, 77, shouldn't 3 bet after 2 people are in for 2 bets, if they come in they want to allow more players, assuming the reraiser knows whsat he was doing. i think you saved some $. i think ak.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:13 PM

no I didnt see a color, it was too dark to tell and he was across the table. As for the EV of the situation. In my mind it was -EV to continue, and thats all I need to fold.

If I took the line of betting the turn, if he raises I then have to fold. I guess with that line you lose one BB but know for sure you are beat.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 AM

Hey Dave,

Do you really think a preflop 3 bettor would check when checked to with 99-77 because of one small overcard? I think he either flopped top set or took the free card with a bigger A than you. You played it the same way I would have. But then again you have to remember I went broke at the Mirage so what do I know.

Jesse
Old 11-18-2004, 01:07 AM

Folding for the 3-bet is OUT OF THE QUESTION. Even if you SEE AK and QQ, don't you think you are going to win this pot close to one time in 11 with your flush draw and chance at two pair?

Fold the turn if you know your player. Specifically he's NEVER 3-bet with say 99, and if he did he wouldn't check it and then bet the Ace. Even so, bet and fold is probably better.

Its not enough to say that YOU have a tight image, your image must appear tight to THIS player, AND he doesn't want to mess with you.

- Louie