Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Secession: Benefits and Drawbacks?

The modern day equivalent of Sherman's March to the Sea would be one pretty big drawback I can think of. Also refernce *Antietam* and *Gettysburg*
Old 11-14-2004, 12:41 PM

this failed the first time, and it will fail the 2nd - esp. in MN

I think we're much more likely to see what happened in Nazi Germany in the 30's....when religious persecution of the drove many talented people, Jewish and otherwise, out of the country. Except this time the persecuters will be the Republicans.

But I'm golden - I'm white, upper middle class, male, and I can fake religious sincerity really well - so I'll have no problem dealing with our new theocratic overlords.

RB
Old 11-14-2004, 01:01 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
The size of our military would decrease

[/ QUOTE ]

You underestimate the division between the blue cities and the red counties in the blue states. Upstate NY, interior PA, OH, MI and so on produce a lot of our military men. And they would never secede.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:12 PM

Why all the juvenile posts and silly wimpering?

Read some Lao Tzu.

-Zeno
Old 11-14-2004, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why all the juvenile posts and silly wimpering?

Read some Lao Tzu.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

no [censored]. These posts are rediculous.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 PM

Actually, California (one of the top economies in the world) derrives most of its income from Agriculture. Once we kick all of the Conservative CEOs to the leftover US properties, we should be able to revamp our auto industry.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:55 PM

I can see it now. All of the intelligent successful liberal Americans move to Canada, and Mexico annexes the US.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, California (one of the top economies in the world) derrives most of its income from Agriculture. Once we kick all of the Conservative CEOs to the leftover US properties, we should be able to revamp our auto industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the county map, and see where the CA agricultural territory would go. And Oregon. And Washington State. And all of the "blue" states. West Virginia was formed when Virginia seceded and the western part of the state stayed with the Union. The same thing would happen in the 2004 secession game. You can't assume straight red or blue states along current state boundaries.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/vote2000/cbc/map.htm
Old 11-16-2004, 02:30 PM

If you can't assume red or blue along the current boundries, then what little relevance this discussion has vanishes. If only blue counties were to secede, we would have the most fractured mish mash of countries and there would be hundreds of problems, making both of them defunct.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't assume red or blue along the current boundries, then what little relevance this discussion has vanishes. If only blue counties were to secede, we would have the most fractured mish mash of countries and there would be hundreds of problems, making both of them defunct.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread has no practical relevance. It is an interesting exercise in alternative-history science fiction. Any attempt at secession would result in the West Virginia scenario in many states, and you gave the outcome of that scenario in your last sentence above. Do you seriously believe that the agricultural areas of non-coastal Califonia would go along with a secession led by the liberal la-la land of LA and SF?