Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Am I really almost 100-1 favorite on this flop?

spamuell

That hand reminds me of the guy about a year ago that cried action flops after his 77 didn't win on a board of AKAK7. He was claiming that the 7 hit the river to "get more action" from him. Despite about 700 people trying to point out he had AAKK with a 7 kicker on the turn, he just wouldn't back down. Can't remember if it was here or RGP.

King
Old 11-11-2004, 05:58 AM

looks like a cleverly constructed bad beat story to me :[
Old 11-11-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Overcoming long odds!

True story. 2/4 B&M game.

Hero on the button w/QQ. 2 limpers in middle position, Hero raises. SB, BB, and limpers call.

Flop: 444, checked around and Hero bets out. SB calls.

Turn: Q, checked to Hero who bets. SB calls.

River: 4, checked to Hero.

My hand has improved on every street and been counterfeited on the river. I can't even beat the board. Moreover, what hand can SB have been chasing with that I can beat? Would a K-anything have stayed in and not bet that river? An ace probably wouldn't. Probably should have put in a value bet...

Hero checks.

Split pot. SB played the board and didn't show his cards. I can only guess that he had a small or middle pair. I had no confidence that a river bet would make him go away.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you're preflop 3-bet os bad and I don't particularly care for your flop check raise since there's no guarantee anyone will bet at that flop. it's natural to think "wow what a bad beat" but the players who eventually get better think "how could I have played it better." if losing with top pair, top kicker, is enough for you to write a bad beat post, then you probably have to work on the mental aspect of your game
Old 11-11-2004, 03:00 PM

OK, I feel compelled to reply. 1) I have been at the table quite long and MP has quite loose pre-flop raising standards, he has raised with Q10o, A6o, etc... 2) Old lady is a calling station, so I feel pretty confident she will through in another bet...

2) MP is LAG, and I am 90% sure he will bet any flop here, especially a pretty raggity one like this. Ditto on comment above on old lady...

3)The hand is quite a bit stronger than TPTK, as it has a nut flush draw. This was also my thinking on C/R flop, to see if I get 3-bet by MP, indicating a high PP, which he may have, and will definitely 3 bet it. When he calls, I put him on a underpair to JJ or 2 overcards...This is big info to inform turn and river play...

4) Yes, I do need to work on mental aspect, who doesn't [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...

5) I do post here to improve, and would appreciate your comments on 1-3 above!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 03:10 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you said loose passive table, so I assumed MP was loose and passive. since he was a LAG, I think your line is fine. even though it had the nut flush draw, it's still TPTK. getting yourself worked up over bad beats is no good. you're just opening yourself up to tilt. there are certain beats that are really tough to get over. someone posted a hand the other day where a player capped all streets with 8 high and caught a backdoor flush against his top set. that's the type of beat that makes you want to hurt someone. this really isn't. I'm rambling but my point is that you'll face a lot of bad beats, but don't let the minor bad beats (and yes I consider this pretty minor) get to you, because there are just too many of them.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Wow. eerily similar to a ridiculous Borgata 1/2 NL hand

I fold UTG preflop. 4 limpers ($2) to the BB (drunk guy)who raises to $6, called around to button who re-raises to $15. BB calls, one limper calls.

Flop: JJ2

Drunk guy bets out $20. Limper folds, Button raises to $100 (you will be shocked at how bad this play looks at the time he makes it, but it doesn't end up mattering). Drunk guy calls.

Turn: [JJ2] K

BB checks, Button bets $100. BB agonizes and calls.

River: [JJ2K] 8

BB checks, Button moves in for $240. BB agonizes again, this time for like a minute. BB calls $240.

Button tables pocket Jacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB flips up CRABS!

The stifled laughter did not remain stifled for long. I was sitting next to this poor dunce and was actually crying I was laughing so hard (just couldn't help it). The funniest thing I've ever seen at a poker table - I mean, it's one thing for a guy to call off 90% of chips with essentially the nut-no-pair, but the fact that the button flopped quads and didn't even attempt to slowplay it made it that much funnier. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Preface, reviewing this post, starting to feel like I am bad beat whining, but please read in context of previous post by SFtheif and myself...

[ QUOTE ]
even though it had the nut flush draw, it's still TPTK. getting yourself worked up over bad beats is no good. you're just opening yourself up to tilt. there are certain beats that are really tough to get over

[/ QUOTE ]

For me this is the type of beat which is really hard. Now, if old lady had even KQ or even 910 or Q10 and drew out a stght, or if she had a PP and hit a set, or KK, QQ, AA that held up, or even beat me with an overcard hitting on the turn or river, well, hey, those are understandable hands to be in in with, and yeah, my 11 outs didn't hit on two streets, but hey OK . I guess with a 3 gap double gut draw with NO flush, no pair, and the only way to win is runner runner gut or runner runner 7s or 8s or 87, all the while avoiding a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], making her a almost 98-1 dog, while this to me is about as bad as a beat gets. I'm suprised that you would not call this a very bad beat

So hey, yes it did piss me off, which I need to work on, but it didn't tilt me (of course being up $200 on a 3-6 table helps me avoid tilting, which again says I am far from diconnected Zen like process and not outcome focus !!!!...)
Old 11-11-2004, 05:13 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

For christ's sake

[ QUOTE ]
For me this is the type of beat which is really hard. Now, if old lady had even KQ or even 910 or Q10 and drew out a stght, or if she had a PP and hit a set, or KK, QQ, AA that held up, or even beat me with an overcard hitting on the turn or river, well, hey, those are understandable hands to be in in with, and yeah, my 11 outs didn't hit on two streets, but hey OK

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate hearing this type of thinking. I hear it all the time on the table. 'I'd rather be beat by a better hand than what they showed...' When i hear it, it shows a gap in ones knowledge of the game.

THINK about what you're saying here. You'd rather be playing against better hands. Would it make a difference what they play if they didn't hit their hand? It shouldn't. This type of hand is where the money comes from. Do you really think this player made up enough in bets to cover their odds of hitting? Would it help 'justify' their play to you if they did?

You're in a great game if this is happening. And it will happen repeatedly at times. Get used to it. Don't 'appreciate' it more if they show you a hand that you respect. Appreciate it that they paid through the nose all the way for their longshot. This is a hurdle many aspiring players have trouble getting over. Table coaches have never gotten over it.

When i see players winning pots playing 'right' and playing only 'good' hands you know what i tend to do? I look for another table. I don't commend them for sucking out on me with a 'reasonable' hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess with a 3 gap double gut draw with NO flush, no pair, and the only way to win is runner runner gut or runner runner 7s or 8s or 87, all the while avoiding a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], making her a almost 98-1 dog, while this to me is about as bad as a beat gets. I'm suprised that you would not call this a very bad beat

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's quite that long of a shot. But really, should you care? Sure, it's a bad beat. It's not the worst you could get. These types of beats can happen in waves. How are you going to handle when these beats seem routine after 3 str8 sessions and you can't get anything to hold up?

I actually like the way you played the hand. You got beat. It happens. It happens all the friggin' time. Get over it.

Don't look down on players chasing. They are the reason you're
[ QUOTE ]
being up $200 on a 3-6 table helps me avoid tilting

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you're up this much because players are playing good cards but you're the only one catching? Please.

b
Old 11-11-2004, 05:16 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I thought...oh well, such is life at 3/6

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens at higher limits also.

b