Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Simple Abortion Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it ironic that people with an abiding faith in a religion supposedly based in the love of Christ could act so coldly toward their fellow (wo)man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your observation is accurate. The way Christians have treated in particular homosexuals and early victims of AIDS is downright shameful. So much so that I am often embarassed to announce myself as Christian to these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was more shameful in the early days of AIDS was the response of Gay advocacy groups. At a time when they could have made a difference in stopping the spread of the disease (such as encouraging sexual quarantine of infected individuals, and a quick halt to excessive multiple partnering) they chose to be political and insist on no practical measures, just public relations.

Sadly, most of these leaders contributed to their own deaths in many cases and the deaths of the people they supposedly represented.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:55 PM

After the "I had an abortion" t-shirts you really start to wonder if it's "my body" or "my power".

60%
Old 10-14-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to know what a number less than 100% says about women. Very few people think that it would be 100%. Is the general opinion of women so grim?

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

it has nothing to do with a grim view of women.

my wife and i were unable to concieve after nearly 8 years of marriage. she had 2 minor surgeries to try to "fix things". nothing worked, so we decided to try InVitro Fertilization. BINGO! we hit the jackpot with triplet daughters!

now we had a choice to make. what do we do with the 7 viable frozen embryos? we certainly do not want or need any more kids(though that didn't quite work out, as since we have conceived again naturally and now have 4 daughters).

our options: donate to science, donate to couples who would adopt them, having been unsuccessful in their own IVF attempt(s), or have them disposed of. another choice, though rarely used, was to have them implanted into my wife's womb and not take the medication necessary to sustain them...basically to let "nature" take its course.

my choice: donate them to a couple. easy for me. my flesh and blood given to another couple i've never met, hoping that a good life be given a chance to flourish.

my wife's choice: have them disposed of. but why? she could not bear the thought of someday maybe learning that her flesh and blood child were mistreated in any way by the birth parents she never met. as far as the science, this is when all the talk of cloning and such was a big issue in the news...no way!

well, long story short, we ended up paying for a year to keep the embryos frozen until we called our IVF doctor for an appointment. all of our/her concerns were addressed and we donated to a couple in need. i have since learned that the procedure was performed, though there is no way for me to know whether it was successful. i may have several other children in this world i don't know about, and i may not. my wife and i never discuss it anymore(we're too damn busy!).

my guess is that less than 50% of women would take Dr.David up on his device for the same reasons less than 50% of couples donate their viable frozen embryos even though they have no intention of ever using them.

cheers!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 PM

The world is overpopulated. Discard all available fetus' please.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:15 PM

Now my question is what percentage of men would encourage their accidentally impregnated wives to chose the new procedure vs. encouraging them to have the abortion?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:00 AM

100%
Old 10-19-2004, 08:31 AM

It's a difficult percentage to estimate. Your question concerns only the ones who make the argument that women have a right to decide what to do with their own bodies. Although the majority of women would express this belief, you are introducing an option that greatly complicates the decision.

We can assume that the majority who would seek an abortion, or who would argue vehemently for the defence of a woman's right to abort a pregnancy, would have to re-think the decision based on this new procedure. But, nobody knows about it, so the patient is only discovering this "out" at the time the decision must be made.

Since the only real dilemma in making the choice to abort is the lack of alternatives, and Dr. Dave has just removed that dilemma and replaced it with another, the answer would be "a vast majority." Since the new procedure introduces the abortion-seeking patient to the prospect of not going through pregnancy, but still adding a child to the planet, the mother's wish to either be involved with her child or not produce one at all may override the alternative that the doctor has provided. That would mean the abortion would remain her only real alternative. I think this would be a small percentage of prospective mothers.

Let's also assume that Dr. Dave can guarantee that no future child produced by the same patient will ever run into the child produced by the new incubator, regardless of how many incubator procedures he performs.

If that were the case then I would "guess" that 98% of patients would pick the incubator.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:48 PM

I'd guess higher than 99% but not 100%.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those who believe that abortion should not be illegal certainly are still pained by the thought of the procedure. They merely believe that the arguments for making it legal, are stronger than the arguments not to. Most women who favor its legality point to the argument that "they have a right to do what they please with their own body"

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many problems with the "It's my body" arguement. We do NOT have unlimited control over what we do with our bodies. There are a multitude of laws and regulations in place (I do not necessarily agree with all or even most of them) to restrict our movements and actions. You might run into some trouble if you decide to waltz your body into a restricted area on a US military base. If I have 100% control over what is done with my own flesh, why will I be put in prison if I want to inject some heroin into it? Ask Dr Kevorkian if the law cares if you want to off yourself. The "It's my body" BS doesn't hold water.

I believe the % of women who would elect to forgo the abortion is quite low, maybe 10%. They were not aware of the existence of your incubator before coming to your office, so they had already agonized (Or not) over the decision to terminate the pregnancy. Assuming the decision to have an abortion was difficult to reach, they will most likely get over it in time. By turning over the fetus to you, they will have to think about that child and its whereabouts for the rest of their lives. This will likely cause more guilt long term than vacuuming their unborn child out of their womb today.