Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 AM

Default Simple Abortion Question

Please read the following slowly and carefully to make sure you understand exactly what I am asking.

Those who believe that abortion should not be illegal certainly are still pained by the thought of the procedure. They merely believe that the arguments for making it legal, are stronger than the arguments not to. Most women who favor its legality point to the argument that "they have a right to do what they please with their own body"

My question concerns only the above women. The ones who make that their main argument.

Suppose there are a thousand such woman who are pregnant and seek an abortion. (Let me stop here to note that there are women who subscribe to the argument who would still not personally have an abortion, even under duress. They are not included in this question). They come to Dr David to do it. They are all 10 weeks pregnant.

I tell them that I have a miraculous new incubator that no one else knows about, as well as contacts with wonderful families who will adopt the baby after I have nutured the fetus into perfect health. We will stipulate that the the women are 100% sure that I am speaking the truth. They can choose, at no cost to themselves, whether to avail themselves of this option or whether to simply have me discard the fetus. No one will ever know their decision or even that it was available.

Since these women have never argued that they have a right to decide the life or death fate of their babies once it is out of their bodies, they should, if consistent, accept my deal. What percentage actually would?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Simple Abortion Question

Zero percent. These women are cold-blooded killers that would rather see the kids die than be raised by a loving, caring family.

Just kidding, seriously though, I don't see how you can come up with an actual percent based upon the information given, but I highly doubt it would be 100 percent, as there would be atleast a few women that just don't care whether the fetus lives or not, as long as they don't have to deal with the problem they created anymore.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What percentage actually would?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds more like a poll question, so the humanist in me will vote fore >95% (accepting the deal). On a sidenote, I once heard a very interesting argument about the legality of anti-abortion laws. The United States government was created to serve and protect the interests of its citizens. Currently, citizenship is conferred after birth.

Scott
Old 10-12-2004, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The United States government was created to serve and protect the interests of its citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why murdering German tourists is legal.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:25 AM

FYI . . . there's no statute of limitations on murder, so you might want to edit your post :-)

Scott
Old 10-12-2004, 03:29 AM

What does a statute of limitations have to do with anything?

My point was that U.S. laws protect lots of non-U.S. citizens; so the idea that they protect only U.S. citizens is wrong.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 AM

definitely greater than 50%. definitely less than 100%. you will get those who believe (whether right or wrong) that the world is overpopulated or that it's just an evil world and why should they bring a child into it.

90% seems like a good guess.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:39 AM

Nevermind, bad joke.

[ QUOTE ]
My point was that U.S. laws protect lots of non-U.S. citizens; so the idea that they protect only U.S. citizens is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is, that's why I made no such argument. It was just an interesting sidenote. If you're looking for an argument though, there are many examples in our history of citizens receiving preferential treatment over non-citizens.

Scott
Old 10-12-2004, 04:17 AM

About 60-70% For at least some women (impossible to know how many) the deep, dark secret is that it would be too emotionally overwhelming to envision their child's existence elsewhere in the world. Birthdays would be hell. The day the child would have received their driver's liscence? Graduation? I know because my own mother almost chose the alternative for finality's sake. I'm glad she made the more selfless decision.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:28 AM

90% is far too high. A fair amount of these "my body, my choice" women likely would not want to know they had a child in the world being raised by someone else, wondering how it was turning out, having no hand in the life of it. It is no more selfish a thought to terminate the child then to wish it not to be raised without it's genetic mother (Since it is an inherently selfish line of thought, I say that as neutral as possible.). Others under the philosphy Sklansky laid out would consider it just giving the child up for adoption without having to go through the labor procedure, which does not fit the my body, my choice philosphy if they have already chosen abortion. Most everyone aruging for the right to an abortion under David's specific reason SHOULD choose not to have the fetus preserved, as they would themselves if it was their intention to do so.

However I would imagine rougly 35% of them would choose the incubator route, perhaps intreagued by the science, or maybe as a jesture of kindness to the family that would recieve a child via this act, or quite likely as an act of indifference towards the fate of the unborn child. Also the explination of the existance of this new science may put pressure on the mother to choose this route unintentionally. However these are, in my mind, the only logical explinations for anyone with the philosphy of the "woman's right to do as they want with their body" woman to choose the scientific path.