Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: inducing a bluff....how\'d i do?

You MUST bet the turn here. He is likely drawing pretty live against you, and you must make him pay to draw. If he folds, great. Betting the turn gives you the opportunity to check behind on the river if you wish, which is very important. But mots importanty, if he is drawing, as you say, he is more likely to call a turn bet then to bluff if he misses. This is the key concept here. Giving him a free card is very bad here. What happens if a king comes on the river and he bets big or checks to you? You lost that 20 you could have gotten on the turn b/c you'll probably have to check the river, plus you might have to fold to his river bet. Or what if he has a worse jack and the 3rd diamond comes on the river and he makes a big bet? You're in a tough situation now and might have to fold. When a player is drawing against you, the turn is the main place to charge him. Who knows, maybe he'll bluff on the river anyway if you do bet the turn!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:02 PM

Ok, I understand what you guys are saying. I think I just tried to get a little too fancy on this hand.

I thought that it might be worth letting him draw for free if it meant that when a blank hit on the river, he would bluff off a substantial amount of money. However, I didn't take into account that the river could be an overcard, which would make my call obviously very difficult. Plus, I wasn't completely sure that he was on a draw. The tendancy for Party NL100 players to call cold on the flop with very strong hands, such as sets, made me want to check this through. Too many monsters under the bed for me lately.

All of the responses are appreciated.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 PM

Oh yeah, results. MP2 had 57d and MHIA (my hand is awesome).
Old 10-11-2004, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads, first hand at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that it might be worth letting him draw for free if it meant that when a blank hit on the river, he would bluff off a substantial amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this require some sort of a read? It seems that more often than not letting him draw for free allows him to make the most and lose the least
Old 10-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Yes, and I'm starting to realize that.