Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 05:42 PM

Default inducing a bluff....how\'d i do?

No reads, first hand at the table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed)

BB ($119.9)
UTG ($164.6)
MP1 ($93)
MP2 ($82.6)
kpux ($100)
Button ($350.35)
SB ($197.4)

Preflop: kpux is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. kpux posts a blind of $2. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, kpux (poster) checks, Button calls $2, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($12) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">kpux bets $10</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $10.

Turn: ($32) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, kpux checks.

River: ($32) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $25</font>, kpux calls $25.

Final Pot: $82

I basically want comments/suggestions on the turn and river play. I figured him for either a diamond draw or a set, and really didn't want to see a check-raise on the turn. The way he played it seems to be the standard line (for either a diamond draw or a set) for most of the average Party players.

Do you like my play?
Old 10-09-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: inducing a bluff....how\'d i do?

anyone?
Old 10-09-2004, 11:39 PM

If you think he has a draw or a set, and will c/r with a set, I would bet 25 on the turn and fold to a checkraise. If he calls then either fold to a river bet if a diamond comes or check behind if he checks.

A free card is much more likely to help him then it is to help you. That alone would make me bet the turn.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:56 PM

I'm with Brian here. The reason I didn't respond at first was that something about this play made me uneasy -- something was wrong.

It's hard to express, but it comes from the fact that it seems wrong to try and induce a bluff with just top pair reasonable, not even good, kicker. The situation can get pretty ugly if he's calling with TP and two pairs, has you outkicked to begin with, is on a draw and gets there. I don't like to "induce bluffs" unless I have a very good sense of what my opponent is holding, and I know they are going to fire at me without the goods. I have to know the player well to try and induce a bluff. I think if you make the same play against typical players you are going to lose money in the long run. Especially on first hand no reads. You just assume that checking behind makes him think you were on a draw? FPS.

Yeah, I don't like your play at all.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just assume that checking behind makes him think you were on a draw? FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I assume that checking behind will make him think that I am weak, and have something like...A9, or JT, and that I will fold to a moderate river bet.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A free card is much more likely to help him then it is to help you. That alone would make me bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is a free river card more likely to help him? His most likely holding is a diamond draw plus an overcard...12 outs. I'm a decent favorite. A free card lets him bluff away a decent amount of money. When most of his cards hit, I'm not going to pay him off very much. When they don't hit, it's possible he'll bluff to try to knock me off my hand. However, how possible it is, is player dependant, so I understand the comment about knowing the player.

Of course, all of this is moot if he has a set, I guess I'm just risking paying him off on the end there. I'd rather call the $25 on the end though and get to the showdown, than bet $25 on the turn, have him check raise me, and have to fold.

All that said, I'm fairly new to NL100, so I could be completely off-base.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:54 AM

What I meant was that when you are behind here a free card is very unlikely to help you whereas when he is behind a free card is moderatly likely to help him.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:22 AM

"How can a free card help him if he's semi bluffing"

Say he has a diamond draw. You give him a free card, its a diamond. You lose the pot. Never give somebody infinite odds!
Old 10-11-2004, 02:48 AM

Fair enough assuming a player who likes to bluff, but unless I've seen a player do it before, I'm not going to run this play. If you get check-raised on the turn you are probably behind and can fold. I'm not saying this is a bad play -- but you are assuming some things about your opponent without having seen him play before. I'm not sure the 'typical' Party player is necessarily bluffing at you here. Until I've pegged my opponents style, I'll just ABC it.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:34 AM

I really think this is the wrong spot to induce a bluff. Your hand isn't that strong and most likely vulnerable.

Moderately bet the turn (~$20), fold to a CR.

Your thinking and actions for inducing a bluff seem technically correct, but with your holding, this doesn't seem to be a very good situation.