Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Scaring Up Democratic Votes

Is that relevant to anything at all

(paraphrasing) Pokerjo said that terrism doesnt really pose much of a threat, you responded asking if she lived in a vacuum. I asked you what percentage of americans have died from terroist acts in the past 10 years, trying to determine what percenaage you deam signifigant, nothing about keery or bush what soever.

Anyway there are something like 250 million peoople in the US, around 4,000 have died because of terroist acts in the past 10 years- so about 0.0016% of americans have died because of a terroist act in the last 10 years (actually this number is smaller, but we will stick to this for now). I feel that supports Pokerjo's statement that terroism hasn't posed a major threat to the average american.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:51 AM

I remember some time ago having some inane discussion after I argued that improving the standard of life in the Middle East could solve many of the problems there. What happened to all of the people that endlessly batted pointless semantics at me back then? I guess Ed Miller is a more intimidating target (BTW, I agree with Ed here).
Old 09-25-2004, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that relevant to anything at all

(paraphrasing) Pokerjo said that terrism doesnt really pose much of a threat, you responded asking if she lived in a vacuum. I asked you what percentage of americans have died from terroist acts in the past 10 years, trying to determine what percenaage you deam signifigant, nothing about keery or bush what soever.

Anyway there are something like 250 million peoople in the US, around 4,000 have died because of terroist acts in the past 10 years- so about 0.0016% of americans have died because of a terroist act in the last 10 years (actually this number is smaller, but we will stick to this for now). I feel that supports Pokerjo's statement that terroism hasn't posed a major threat to the average american.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Jo wrote [ QUOTE ]
Terrorists don't really pose a threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see no difference the conversation is over. For that matter compared to car accidents cancer and aids don't pose much of a threat either. See how silly your percentage of deaths becomes? Plus who is to say that they won't kill 3 million Americans with a nuclear weapon in the next decade? Can you state this with any degree of certainty? Perhaps you are willing to take that chance but fortunately President Bush and many forward looking voters are not neither am I.

Jimbo
Old 09-25-2004, 01:00 AM

Lifetime risk of getting cancer = 40%
Lifetime risk of dying of cancer = 20%

Those numbers dont look silly to me.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I do want all the little Arab terrorists and wannabe terrorists to die rather than a single American civillian, even rather than your sorry ass. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should edit your profile - the "hippie inside of you" must have died [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2004, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lifetime risk of getting cancer = 40%
Lifetime risk of dying of cancer = 20%

Those numbers dont look silly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to your lifetime risk of being in an auto accident they are. Also you made those percentages up but nice try.

Jimbo
Old 09-25-2004, 01:06 AM

I am sorry Jimbo, apparently your interpretation of what Jo wrote was dead on. When she wrote "Terrorists don't really pose a threat" i interpreted the "really" as meaning that compared to many other problems in the world today terroism doesnt warrant an 87 billion dollar war. Please pokerjo,if i misinterpreted, correct me and i will apologise.

"lus who is to say that they won't kill 3 million Americans with a nuclear weapon in the next decade? Can you state this with any degree of certainty? Perhaps you are willing to take that chance but fortunately President Bush and many forward looking voters are not either."

Goddamn it, read a [censored] history book. When the english used violence to try to stop the IRA the IRA grew in number and their attacks on england claimed more lives. Russia has attempted to stem the attacks from Chechnya with violence and that has also lead to an increase in violence from chechen seperatists. The military actions against the drug cartels in south america haven't stemmed the flow of drugs at all. So please pull your head out of your ass when you claim that violence is going to stop future terroist actions. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED IN RECORDED HISTORY.

Plus who is to say that they won't kill 3 million Americans with a nuclear weapon in the next decade.

Iraq has 0 nuclear weapons. Prior to the invasion Iraq had 0 nuclear weapons. North Korea is publicly announcing their intentions to create and use nuclear weapons (including plans to build delivery systems capable fo reaching the US). On the other hand how many Iraqi's hadbeen involved in terroist actions against the US prior to the invasion of Iraq?
How many Saudi's?
Don't keep trying to sell me this crapola about needing to go into Iraq to stop terroism there is no evidence that either
A. Iraq was any kind of threat to us or
B. Invading has mande any any safer.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should edit your profile - the "hippie inside of you" must have died

[/ QUOTE ]

It was wounded in Nam and finished off by liberals.

Jimbo
Old 09-25-2004, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also you made those percentages up but nice try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to cancer statistics:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...8096/8767.html
Old 09-25-2004, 01:12 AM

Hey Jo (now i can't get that Hendrix song out of my head i just know it)
i can't find the statistics you quoted on that site, can you expediate a bit?
thanks