Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 06:09 PM

Default Re: I lost over $1600 when someone hijacked my account!

If it's that important to you, you could contact the police.

bad idea. live and learn your lesson, but don't report a crime that resulted from your own possible criminal activity.

jmho
Old 09-21-2004, 06:15 PM

request your hand histories from that day. see if the guy lost all 1600 to a single guy in a HU table or something. if i stole someones pword, thats the way i would get the money out of the account. theres no point in trying to do a regular cashout..
Old 09-21-2004, 06:22 PM

"michael" is a poor password.

8nD7x/qR
l,(@#JGs
iDpu!EG7

Much better passwords. Sorry about your loss, but you should consider using the tools mentioned in the other thread. The Atory Password Generator (free) and the PasswordSafe (free). Excellent tools.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:29 PM

In a lot of these cases the password was compromised by someone you trust. Sort of the same issue when the wife gets murdered and the husband is the key suspect. Assuming your computer does not have a malicious virus/keylogger, someone you know or was at your house got a hold of your password information.

JAque
Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 PM

Is it possible to get a keylogger "virus" from the itnernet?? I thought it could only be installed on the machine itself, or am I way off?

If you can just get it as a virus, wouldnt having party client remeber your login be the smart way to go then? Then no keylogger can get it, and all you have to do is just make sure your actual machine is secure, which is easy for most people to do (like me for instance, seeing as how i live alone)

no offense to the original poster, but having a password thats someones name (especially a common name, and the name of your kid) is pretty dumb
Old 09-21-2004, 08:32 PM

Since it's a fairly common name there is a decent chance that it wasn't a key-logger and that someone was able to figure it out on their own.

Do you use this password on any other sites?? If so, then some cust-serv rep from the other site could have hacked his way in somehow.

Quick story -
Last week I got an e-mail from a sports-betting place that they had $25 free-bet waiting for me but I had to call them first and re-activate my acct. I had set up an acct there a few months ago but never deposited and they were just trying to get me back.
Anyway, I called the number and they asked for my acct details including my password. I said I had no idea....she asked for my B-day and other stuff...and then told me what my password was (it was my cat's name).
If i used this password on other sites (which I have) then all she has to do is try to find my accunt name on any other sites and try out my password.
Since I am more diligent about my passwords now I didn't have anythin to worry about.
But using a name like that is pretty much saying "hey....if you want to check to see if I'm on any other sites there's a decent chance you can figure out my password"

Anyway, I don't know if the person in DC got your password that way or via a keylogger or what.
Also, I don't know what your son's name is....but if he's in college or something and plays poker also then maybe he mentioned that his dad sometimes plays too. if he mentioned what your handle is then one of his buddies could try hacking into your acct.

OR - maybe you played B&M sometime and happened to converse about playing on party and also happened to converse about having a son named "michael" or whatever. if your party-handle is reasonably similar to your real name OR if you mentioned your home-town at a live-game then maybe somebody spotted you at party, remembered your son's name, and got on.

With a password that easy to figure out....it's possible someone just out there just looks for people to log-off and then tries to hack their way in with random guesses.

If you're going to use a name at least change it up a little bit....
m!ch@el(99) or something like that will be much more difficult to crack.

my passwords are now all along the lines of
Rl2d$5%9(:h"*hlT or something like that.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 PM

Oh yeah...meant to mention that every time there is some sort of 'my acct got hacked' thread there is someone who says 'Call the police!!'

I agree with Granny that this is a VERY BAD idea.

"Hello police?? My semi-legal internet-gambling account got hacked into because I made my password really easy to figure out. Can you help me track down the sort-of legal poker-money they stole from me."

Reminds me of a MASH episode where Frank Burns is trying to track down a missing $300.

Hawkeye: Frank...that money wasn't stolen. He lost it in our poker game last night.

Frank: Poker?!?! That's illegal. You're allowed to play poker. Therefore it was stolen!!

Also BTW - Sorry to hear about your loss. I'll admit that I'm fortunate it has not happened to me in the days when my passwords were much easier to crack.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:42 PM

By no means I am expert on the subject of viruses or what is possible for hacking a password. However, people download all kind of c..p in their computers. New Firewall programs like Norton also have protection for certain information not to be allowed to be sent. For example, if you tell the program that your SS is not allowed to be sent, anytime it detects that number over a chat message, e-mail, posts, etc it will let you know.
There are also programs that detect key loggers.

JAque
Old 09-21-2004, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party would be able to tell that. It sounds like they don't really care, however.

If it's that important to you, you could contact the police. If the locals (or even the feds, not sure if it would be their jurisdiction) are serious about cracking down on cyber crimes, they could subpoena PP's records. I'd try googling 'identity theft' and see what agencies to contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US cannot subpoena PP's records, they are not located in the US and are not subject to US laws. That's like "hey, let's subpoena Iran's nuclear program records."
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 PM

Check out this story (long).. It's frightening what people can do with a computer! (In this case an 13 year old kid [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

I can't believe how man people that aren’t using a firewall and antivirus. Especially when you play online poker with lots off real money on stake!! Everybody, ASAP protect your computer with a firewall!

EDIT:

Quote from the story:
It has been designed to give its master virtually complete control over the compromised PC. This includes complete file system inventorying and file access, and real-time keyboard keystroke logging. Any user with Sub7 in their machine might as well have the hacker standing right next to them watching every move they make while using the computer.