Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Where Do You Fit In Religion Wise?

If they're doubling up on me, then as far as I'm concerned I AM God.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:30 AM

The being we call god is merely a pawn working for a powerful and rational force in some far-off galaxy. This force is trying to weed out people who are irrational by seeing who would be stupid enough to believe in his god illusion so easily. Those that believe in this illusion, he will send to eternal damnation and he will deliver the rational beings, those who stoically refused to believe in a god, to heaven.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:06 PM

None of the above. I see a huge difference between spirituality and religion. Trying to discuss this sort of very deep subject on a very shallow level is like pissing up against the ocean.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:12 PM

J. There is no God of any sort.

I'm INTP (should that be "an INTP"? is INTP a noun or an adjective? Both?) ... I need things logically defined with proofs and all that jazz. So far, no dice from God. There was a big bang, then there was a huge string of amazing luck, and much later, my parents went to bed early one night...

I actually really hope I'm wrong, because death is a lot less scary when you believe in Heaven. The whole "cease to exist" thing scares the piss out of me. But besides that, I don't really have any need for religion. I consider myself to be lucky in that I was allowed to make up my own mind about the whole God thing. My sister is a pretty devout Some-Christian-SubType-I-Can't-Remember. So, evidently our parents did a pretty good job of not pushing one thought or the other. I guess it helps that my mother is an atheist and my father is general-christian-spiritual-but-not-into-organized-religion.

Anyone else think all these religious people need to come up with better names for divisions of their faiths? I can't keep them straight.

-Nate
Old 09-03-2004, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
M. God is irrelevant.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm for option "I," and I think this jibes quite nicely with what you state above. If there is a God, I can't know it/him/her through personal contact. I know enough about cognitive science to know that we can be made to believe that we have seen anything, no matter how fantastic. I also know enough about history, religion, and mysticism to know that science cannot possibly explain every phenomenon.

As an agnostic, I sort of feel that it's not really any of my business. I need to do what I'm going to do. If there is a God, I just humbly prey that I did the right thing in life. Since I can't know, however, I don't want to waste my life searching for an impossible answer.

And I'm sure you can tell that I'm not exactly a man who takes things on faith.

Marlow [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2004, 01:14 AM

After long study and experience, I have come to the conclusion that
(1) all religions are true; (2) all religions have some error in
them; (3) all religions are almost as dear to me as my own Hinduism,
in as much as all human beings should be as dear to one as one's
own close relatives. My own veneration for other faiths is the same
as that for my own faith; therefore no thought of conversion is
possible.
(Gandhi, `All Men Are Brothers')
Old 09-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Hi David,

How about this one:

L. There is a God, who wants nothing more than to have a passionate love affair with each and every one of us, and to see each and every one of us so consumed by and suffused with that love, patience, kindness, and forgiveness that we cannot help but to manifest those qualities in our every thought, word, and deed.

Cris
Old 09-18-2004, 01:58 PM

J for me.

Ponks
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM

Default I sincerely hope I or J...

All available evidence points to either I or J. If the TRUE ANSWER is anything approaching A through E, then a close look at history suggests that God is a prick, and I choose not to worship him anyway.

My opinion: J.

Of course, should the answer be A through E, I am now most certainly going to Hell.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:38 PM

Ah.. Alpha and Omega,

One perfect and complete all encompassing omnipotent spiritual being with incomprehensible levels love and understanding. Who's devine spirit permeates and is the base of all things, earthly and not of earth, visible and invisible, explicable and inexplicable, living and dead. Who is the potentate of all time and space and the foundations there of, and defines infinity as it is held within his righteous palm.

his will be done

timmer