Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: 1st Hand QQ

I called initially figuring that if overcards (especially an ace) hit, I could lay this one down, and play comfortably with a t600 stack. When it came J-high, there's no way I was going to fold to a push. AA is going to value bet. KK MIGHT push, but there were a ton of hand that I'm ahead of that would push as well. The push said, "I have a made hand, but don't want you to make yours."

Kudos to those who thought he might be a tad bit loose. He turned over 44. Unfortunately, his Christmas present was a 4 on the river.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking he has KK, QQ , JJ
and on the first hand at this level (where I play) there is a significant amount of lunacy......
I probably fold this one. Unless I'm in a hurry....even if he has AK he can still beat you too many ways.

Interesting as I think this over, I would not fold KK here, yet would easily fold 10,10........I bet he had JJ..

results please,
hyde

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking JJ too, but that's a pretty bold move to make figuring hero would only call with QQ or better and hasn't
made any moves to show he has a hand like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK. He totally missed the flop and figure there is no way you have a hand to call. I figure if he had JJ, he would want a call not a fold.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Basically, he was your typical fish.

I don't think you could have put him on a set with the way he played it. He'll be paying you off in the long run so I wouldn't sweat this beat.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:37 PM

I think as soon as you call his 200 preflop, you've made your decision to call his push on that flop. If you thought he had aces or kings, you can't call and hope for a set. Is this incorrect? I suppose you could be paying 200 for the information his flop bet provides, but so early in the tournament it's going to be tough to read much into it.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:29 PM

Being the first hand, this makes it difficult. I like your call normally. But this is party, or some other site that starts with 800 chips, and in this case, 25% of your stack is pretty significant. I might just muck this one and wait. I'm not comfortable going all-in this early with the action in front of me, and I don't like not being the aggressor.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:01 PM

Pushing all-in pre-flop would make you the aggressor, I think. Just for the record, I hate the flat-call of the re-raise. Do you really think the 44 guy wouldn't have pushed if an ace flopped? Better to get your money in as a 4.5:1 favorite than fold a 9:1 favorite any time an ace or king flops. If he has AA or KK, so be it, but you don't have enough chips left after calling the re-raise to play poker on the flop. Just get your money in and cross your fingers.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing all-in pre-flop would make you the aggressor, I think. Just for the record, I hate the flat-call of the re-raise. Do you really think the 44 guy wouldn't have pushed if an ace flopped? Better to get your money in as a 4.5:1 favorite than fold a 9:1 favorite any time an ace or king flops. If he has AA or KK, so be it, but you don't have enough chips left after calling the re-raise to play poker on the flop. Just get your money in and cross your fingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see your point. I play on Stars, with the deeper stacks, and if this hand was on my site I couldn't fault the preflop call with that amount of chips.

I agree with you that pushing is better than calling in this scenario. It's a push or fold situation. I prefer folding, and waiting. But either is fine, IMO.