Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Current poker boom - how long can it last?

I think that the total number of long term poker players has been more or less permanently increased.

Most people who play poker do it occasionally for fun and don't really expect to win, and don't even have a bankroll to begin with, so losing a bankroll is not on their minds. If they can have fun while losing $5/hr they will do it on an occassional basis indefinitely as long as they have some winning sessions.

Ultimately I think that online limit poker will be taken over by bots and collusion teams, but otherwise I'm optimistic.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: ready for new games?

Omaha has shown a large pickup in interest over the past few weeks due to tv coverage.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: A similar topic: Poker vs. inflation

[ QUOTE ]
Thirty years ago, a person making 1BB/hr in a 15/30 game was making a decent wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thirty years ago there were probably far fewer 15-30 games spread in the country than there are 80-160 games spread today. I've heard a few of the old codgers around here talk about when the 10-20 game at the Nugget was one of the biggest regularly spread LHE games in the country back in the day (they were talking about the early 70's IIRC). So, I would contend the stakes of your average poker games already go up proportionally to the rate of inflation.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Ready for Euchre????

[ QUOTE ]
Prior to poker I used to crush both Yahoo and Cases Ladder euchre ladders. I love that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play Yahoo's Euchre ladder. When I was playing consistently, I was in the top 200.

I love Euchre. I love it second only to poker. and only because I can make money easily at Euchre. I have yet to play Euchre for cash.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 PM

mike, you can't give uncle ray's buddies a hard time (you know, like telling guys that have a combined gajillion hands, books, experience, and whatnot, that they are wrong alot) and then expect him to answer a simple question that clarkmeister already gave you an answer to....it just doesn't work that way...

but the short answer is yes, if the game is right and you play poker well...there is more in hpfap on this...try the loose games section..

you're sic of holdem anyways maybe order ray's hi-lo book direct from him and terrorize the 8 or better games awhile and all will be forgiven...
Old 07-20-2004, 06:09 PM

Flipping between the Red Sox and Sportscenter right now, ESPN has a countdown clock to the next World Series of Poker episode, 2:56:17 and counting.

Crazy it is,
Joe Tall
Old 07-20-2004, 06:45 PM

Low buy in tournaments will last for quite some time methinks. I've seen poker when it was new to an area and people got busted fairly fast but oh were the games good while it lasted. I think your time table is about right. I'd be thinking about cashing in on some on some of the no limit action that seems to becoming more popular.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:52 PM

"maybe order ray's hi-lo book"

you dont think ive read and reread that? puh-leeze...

anyway ray said it was okay to fold it if i want to, but that i would make money if they game was just right (loose passive, duh i knew that). he said if they are somewhat aggressive preflop (they are) i should dump. so there.

so bottom line: i know what im doing, im a genius (please check my post "more expert play" currently on mid stakes for details), and clarkmeister is wrong.

i think gabe liked my fold too although he has too much of a poker face for me to really know.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Re: A similar topic: Poker vs. inflation

[ QUOTE ]

Thirty years ago, a person making 1BB/hr in a 15/30 game was making a decent wage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirty years ago there were probably far fewer 15-30 games spread in the country than there are 80-160 games spread today.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

just reading some of the slightly older books where they talk about playing 1/2 or 2/4 hold-em. not many B&M csinos even spread these games anymore. usually 3/6 or 4/8 is the smallest HE table (although i know there are SOME 2/4 games out there..just not as many).

$30/hr is still a decent income. not HUGE or anything...but certainly not low-middle imo.

$30/hr X 40 hrs wk = $1200/wk X 50 weeks = $60k/yr

i don't think a $60k/yr job is anything to sneeze at.
$60k today isn't what it was 20 years ago obviously...but it's not exactly minimum-wage.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one random datapoint. I used to watch most of the poker shows on TV. Now I'm starting to get bored of them and don't watch most of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to aggree. I watch the whole last season of WPT now I catch it if I am around and interested.