Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: KQs, river decision

[ QUOTE ]
...but wouldn't you be worried about losing the guy stuck in the middle of the raising war?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if you if you lost the middle man it would be great because you would increase your chances of winning the pot.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you're right, we did misunderstand the question. the reason is because you want your K and Q outs to win the pot when you hit them.

- in a small pot, when you have a flush draw and overcards, you want as many people in as possible so you're getting an overlay on your flush draw, and you want to build a big pot and win it.

- in a big pot, you want as few people in as possible, because the pot is already big. you want your K or Q outs to be good as often as possible, and don't care as much about building a big pot.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:22 PM

Besides, even if I did want him in, what's he more likely to call, a 2 SB raise on the flop when he's already put in a SB, or a 2 BB raise on the turn totally cold?

If he folds on the flop, fine.
If he calls on the flop, fine.

But if I want him to fold on the turn, there's no way I can do it.
And if I want him to call on the turn, I can only make him call 1.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:24 PM

That does make sense. I had thought about the K and Q outs, but I figured AQ and AK were all you would be worried about there, and I couldn't put him on those hands. I forgot about the possibility of a pair plus K or Q overcard kicker, which is very possible. Ok, I'm sold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2004, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, even if I did want him in, what's he more likely to call, a 2 SB raise on the flop when he's already put in a SB, or a 2 BB raise on the turn totally cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, that was tickling the back of my mind, but it wasn't loud enough. I'll listen harder now.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:30 PM

"Decision" implies that you have something to decide, which you don't. Played fine.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:39 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

HPFAP21st : App A p310

"Thus your king-high flush will be beaten by an ace-high flush less than 6 percent of the time (when there is a three-flush on board)"
Old 06-05-2004, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could someone explain the flop 3-bet to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero had 9 outs to the flush and 6 overcard outs for a total of 15 outs. He is a favorite to make a hand by the river, so 3 betting is for pure value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone expalin why Hero is a favorite with is 15 outs. I know he has them, but how can he be considered a favorite. I do understand the point of betting to build the pot up for the flush, but how can he be considred the favorite?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could someone explain the flop 3-bet to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero had 9 outs to the flush and 6 overcard outs for a total of 15 outs. He is a favorite to make a hand by the river, so 3 betting is for pure value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone expalin why Hero is a favorite with is 15 outs. I know he has them, but how can he be considered a favorite. I do understand the point of betting to build the pot up for the flush, but how can he be considred the favorite?

[/ QUOTE ]

15/48 + 15/47= .63 He will make his hand 63 percent of the time. Thus he is a favorite to have the best hand by the river
Old 06-06-2004, 02:47 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

15/48 + 15/47= .63 He will make his hand 63 percent of the time. Thus he is a favorite to have the best hand by the river

Umm not quite

The easiest way to calculate your odds would be to assume you missed both streets.

1 - (32/47 * 31/46) = 1 - .459 (rounded) = 54.1%

Odds would be

(100 - 54.1)/54.1 = .85 .85 to 1

So how good a bet is this? Well it's better than the house gets at Blackjack, Craps, or Baccarat.