Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: A mid tourney hand from 2+2er

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once he sees the flop, he's going to the felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda why i like folding preflop. Limping seems like asking to win a small pot or bust yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this another one of those "let's see if we can get everyone to agree with MLG/Soss/etc" posts by throwing out some weird line that does not seem to fall within the aforementioned player's normal advice/play style? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TT
Old 05-31-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once he sees the flop, he's going to the felt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda why i like folding preflop. Limping seems like asking to win a small pot or bust yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this another one of those "let's see if we can get everyone to agree with MLG/Soss/etc" posts by throwing out some weird line that does not seem to fall within the aforementioned player's normal advice/play style? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

AJo is a terrible hand in NL. I'd rather have 87s.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:40 PM

no. soss and I haven't talked about it. this brings up an important point though. just because im aggresive doesnt mean im blindly aggresive. with a 17x or so stack size dominated hands are incredibly dangerous because you are too short to not play flops that sort of hit you aggresively but deep enough that any hand that gives you action likely has you beaten.

seriously. aggresion doesn't mean blind aggresion. you need to think and analyze every situation, and I think this is a borderline fold.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:44 PM

The post is unclear, but did the OP mean that UTG+1 was the player getting aggressive? In any case, I generally take the limp from up front as a sign of weakness unless the player's style dictates otherwise. AJo isn't the mack daddy of all hands, but when you're sitting 2 off the button and no one has shown strength, it's usually time to put on the pressure with the hand. I would have raised to t1,500-t2,000 in this spot and would usually expect to win the pot right then and there.

Going to the flop, this is a pretty good hand for AJ - you have top pair top kicker which should figure to be the best hand in most cases for this flop. The bet from the limper very well indicates a probing bet with something like QJ or KJ, but it could be a value bet with JT or 88 - depends on the player. You were right to raise here, but I think that a raise to t2,000 straight would have accomplished the same thing. Your raise indicates that you're not affraid of QJ or KJ - the BB's check-raise means that he's not affraid of your AJ. I really can't picture the BB having anything less than 2-pair in this spot and you should not have called. The exception is when the BB is an idiot and has something like KQ.

In sum the hand was played sub-optimally. Pre-flop you were scared and postflop you overplayed TPTK. I didn't read the other posts, but I suspect you lost and were crippled. Raising w/ TPTK and then calling a big reraise is almost never a good play. Remember: calling bad, raising good. Period.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:49 PM

Limping feels funny, and I definitely like folding better than limping. Raising is a decent idea but I'm pretty sure the textbook play here is to fold.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM

Would your decision be different if UTG +1 folds and you are first to act? Limp, fold or raise?

TT
Old 05-31-2005, 03:57 PM

PF limp is OK. Order of preference for Hero's flop action is (1) fold, or (2) call, given Hero's stack size. Hero fold on the flop is better than a raise. I do not like the flop raise by Hero. Board is too highly coordinated, and any re-raise (whether its by BigStack or BB check-raise) means Hero is probably seriously behind.

I can see an argument for calling the BigStack flop bet, but not raising 2000 more.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:02 PM

I'm almost always raising first in then.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Then I guess the question is what range of hands can you put UTG+1 on, who has been described as being agressive, that he would limp on? Would he limp in w/ AA-JJ, AK, AQ? Mid-low pair, sure, but with the premiums? Only being there for a few hands makes it hard to judge though...

TT
Old 05-31-2005, 04:15 PM

i realize he is committed to that flop and understand why. i have one question and it isnt to further clarify why he is committed but just to learn something new from experienced players...
when BB check re-raises what range of hands do you put him on with his relatively low stack?