Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Book Review: Killer Poker

I thought the book was pretty much crap and I disagree with a lot of what he said, but one line really stuck with and I feel it made the book woth the purchase. At the end he says something to the extent of "Start playing killer poker now, we sometimes know what the right play is, but we don't make it. Never again play those two cards becasue you feel lucky. No excuses." Or something to that effect. I sometimes make the wrong play knowingly, like seeing the turn when you know you are beaten. And since I read that I have been a lot better about it.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 AM

if I can ask, what was your level of playing experience and education in the poker literature at the time you read it?

Well i have been only studying hold em for a little over 2 months right now. Ive read WLLHE by Jones, HEP, HEFAP, TOP by S&M and i just finished youre book yesterday. Dont get me wrong, your book is excellent for an advance player who needs to fine tune his game and increase his BB/Hour, but at my stage right now (beginner) i was looking for some overall strategy. I know your book will become very valuable over my poker career.

To tell you the truth i should of followed youre advice about "How am i Doing, who cares" and "Tilt" last night. I started to get frustrated and went on serious tilt playing online 1/2 and ended up losing my deposit of $50. The worse thing about it was i just read that section yesterday and its like you were pointing a finger at me.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:31 AM

ZMan,
I felt the same way you did when I first read the book. I liked the story parts about deciding when to move up in limits, and about "sprinkling holy water on his chips" but didn't find much else but the A-Q test useful and had trouble understanding things like the hand he describes semi-bluff raising with AJ to knock out a player between him and the pre-flop raising small-blind. I felt it was being looked at a little results oriented. That was 6 months ago... that said, I have now re-read it twice since and found so much more to make sense and found much of the information to be incredibly useful. And his examples of an "advanced" players thoughts, I can now see much more of the logic behind. I am by no means an advanced player and still play only in lower and lower-middle limits games, but after re-reading TOP, HPFAP and ITPM 2 or 3 times a piece and playing in B&M rooms, home games and online, I have found this book more and more valuable each time I read it. So with all of your books, store it away, play on and after some time pick it back up again and re-read it. I suggest this with all the books. Each time, I get something new on it, like another light on the Xmas tree is lit and hopefully, one day, i'll be able to light the star on the top.

As for Killer Poker, I'm reading it now and have liked what I've read so far, but I'm really early into it. I think it is valuable to drive home the point of being brutally honest on your self-evaluation and how he does it to himself helps to encourage readers to do it. I still have a lot to go in this book though so this is a very preliminary review.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2003, 04:16 PM

I very much enjoyed John's book, Inside the Poker Mind.
I also enjoyed Mason's Essays vol.1 & 2. Haven't ordered 3, yet.
And, I also hated Poker Farce and Poker Truth. Terrible.
I'm currently reading Sklansky on Poker, and think it is very good. I'm surprised it hasn't been the subject of more talk, although I understand why it would take a back'seat to HEFAP.
I'm also trying to absorb Gambling Theory and Other Topics, but the math makes my head hurt!
I hope it is one of those instances that I'll read it again after a couple of years of playing experience, and be able to gain more from it.
Just thought I throw my 2cents into the mix. Cheers.

Lan Gooch
Old 02-27-2003, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback, ZMan. I've noticed over time that when a player doesn't get much out of my book it's usually because he read it too early in his poker education. (or perhaps is too advanced to get a lot out of any book) As a collection of assorted essays aimed at intermediate to more advanced players, it fits most easily among the books to be read after you've absorbed all the general "how to" books. Even then, as the other poster points out, lots of readers seem to get more out of it as they reread it later in their learning. I'll look forward to your reaction to it as you pick it up again down the road.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:41 PM

Thanks, BigLick. Good to hear you're getting more and more out of it. I know some of the essays in it are useful to less experienced players, but quite a few are on topics that just happened to interest me at the time. So I dissected them in writing. So while _Inside the Poker Mind_ has a little something for most readers, I think it has the most for those with some decent experience and reading behind them.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Sklansky on Poker

I'm currently reading Sklansky on Poker, and think it is very good.

I concur with this. I think Sklansky on Poker is a great book, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more talk. It is a change of pace from many of his usual writings (he even mentions this in the introduction), and it is certainly worth the price.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:50 PM

I am sorry for inferring in any way that Mason's reviews are biased.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:26 PM

Default Re:..JF..

John its been some time since we spoke...Hope you still get much enjoyment out of the Sara Brightman CD.. My PC crashed and have lost your email address..
I must agree that your book is not for the novice and after many readings i still pick up ideas that i missed initially..Theres just too much to absorb in a few readings..I feel till your ready for at least 10-20 you`ll miss the critical concepts etc..
Any decent players library will definitely contain your book..Its truly unique and insiteful..

jim
Old 03-01-2003, 12:06 PM

Default Viva John Feeney

'Inside The Poker Mind' by John Feeney is an excellent book.

It is both well written and full of insightful poker thinking.

I am pleased that John Feeney responded to the criticism of his book in a detached, professional manner and asked the poster in question about the state of his poker understanding and his acquaintance with the poker literature out there.

I play a mean game and I am well acquainted with the poker literature. John Feeney has written a book that will help the game of any hold'em player in particular and any poker player in general (a poker player who can extrapolate Feeney's general poker ideas to his game).

'Inside the Poker Mind' is a book that will earn you money.

Disclaimer: I do not know John Feeney nor have any vested interest in the commercial success of his book. I do, however, have an obligation to the truth.