Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2003, 03:13 AM

Default Book Review: Killer Poker

Killer Poker; Strategies and Tactics for Winning Play (4) by John Vorhaus. Even though this book is written in a very entertaining style, I only felt a moderate amount of the material was of real value. Much of the book is a lecture on play your best, stay off tilt, and review your play. But very little is specific enough to lead any reader in any direction. Also, strategies like distract your opponents by talking to them, yell at the football game, and make fake angry phone calls on your cell phone might have a little bit of value if you already play very well, but again I didn’t see much that would lead you towards that goal. In fact, you might discover that following advice like this might “worsify” your game.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Book Review: Killer Poker

Even though this book is written in a very entertaining style, I only felt a moderate amount of the material was of real value.

I felt this way towards "Inside the Poker Mind" by Feeney. It had a some nice material like "How am i doing, Who Cares" and "Tilt" but the overall material seemed to lack what i was looking for, guess you cant beat HEFAP [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I would consider recommending it to anyone serious because some of the information provided could help some aspects of your game.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:14 PM

I only felt a moderate amount of the material was of real value. Much of the book is a lecture on play your best, stay off tilt, and review your play.

I personally felt there was value in this. I liked some of his "review your play" ideas.

But very little is specific enough to lead any reader in any direction.

True, there is very little real strategy advice. He does have some good ideas on identifying and attacking vulnerable opponents.

Also, strategies like distract your opponents . . . you might discover that following advice like this might “worsify” your game.

LOL. I've never been a big fan of image stuff like that and think you are probably right. Slighty off topic, but the first edition of Othmer's seven card stud book had one of the most ridiculous examples of image ever.

One thing I found odd was his recommended books list includes only one 2+2 book (TOP), yet it has 2 of McEvoy's books (Championship HE and Tournament Poker).

Overall, I think the book was worth more than the money I paid for it.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:23 PM

Hi Jim:

I do remember some of the silly image plays in the original version of Othmer's book, especially the plastic bannana that he can't in his shirt pocket.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-26-2003, 10:57 PM

"but the overall material seemed to lack what i was looking for"

What were you looking for?

Also, if I can ask, what was your level of playing experience and education in the poker literature at the time you read it?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:08 PM

I agree, it is worth the $11. You can read it in a night. I think the book would have gotten a higher rating if it was published by Two Plus two.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:44 PM

you're getting kind of touchy in your retirement.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:02 AM

Hi Anadrol50:

You wrote:

I think the book would have gotten a higher rating if it was published by Two Plus two.

Well, let me put it to you this way. First, my reviews are extremely accurate. If they weren't, they wouldn't have the credibility that they happen to have.

Second, I was publishing reviews in the mid 1980s before Two Plus Two existed and before I had a book published. So what would you have said then?

Third, if I was you and I felt this way, I would have nothing to do with this site, and certainly wouldn't be posting on it.

Not only are my reviews accurate, they serve a purpose in steering our readers towards what's well worthwhile to read and study, and what's not. Of course, that doesn't mean that your opinion, which might be as good as mine, won't be different. But I and everyone associated with Two Plus Two strongly resent the accusation that there is something amiss in our integrity.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-27-2003, 02:18 AM

I agree completely. MM's reviews are about the best in the industry, and I'll tell you this much; he may review something and say its not very good, yet others really like it, but if he says it's excellent, it is, plain and simple, (except for Pokerfarce and Pokertruth, i really HATED that book). Only person CLOSE in credibility is Christensen, although I do think Christensen writes better, more in-depth reviews, overall.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:39 AM

I'm getting old and grouchy. But this time I was really just curious. btw, I know who you are snakey. Took a while, but not much gets past this ol' boy. So watch your p's and q's bud. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]