Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Donnie Darko

[ QUOTE ]

I think the real reason I enjoyed this movie, because I thought it was quality movie with a good plot and not some poorly written, badly acted hollywood movie, with most of the crap that comes out in theaters. Blade Trinity? Are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

This I agree with. It's original and not mindless which is worth something.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep it though.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:54 PM

I don't think the film is very original at all. American independent films with young, troubled but gifted men in a suburban environment (as seen in Rushmore, The Ice Storm, American Beauty etc) are just as formulaic (sp?) as most big budget action films, they just happen to have a smaller, older, more educated target audience and thus get more respect.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:59 PM

I'll just let you realize that you somehow compared this movie to rushmore as if they were interchangable. I won't say a thing.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:49 PM

Donnie Darko is one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years. I loved it.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think its one of those movies that for some reason people like to act like it was the greatest movie ever, because they think it will make them sound cool. Its prolly because its a strange movie and not alot of people have seen it, so if you are with a group of people and talking about movies and someone mentions donnie darko, you can be all like "yeah that movie is the [censored]!!" and only like one or two people have seen it, so you seem all cool because you like this weird movie.

The story line is also kind of weak, but the movie is strange enough that you can watch it and then be like "huh?" so if you act like its the greatest movie ever, it makes it seem like there is some sort of deeper meaning to the movie that you get. People will agree with you that it's so good because they feel if they don't it means they are somehow dumb or "uncool" because they don't get the deeper meaning (that totally isn't there). Its kind of like an emperors new clothes sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING

[/ QUOTE ]

You're that guy who's one step ahead of the hipsters. You say that it sucks because you think people will say they like it to be cool. Thus, you must be cooler than them right?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its one of those movies that for some reason people like to act like it was the greatest movie ever, because they think it will make them sound cool. Its prolly because its a strange movie and not alot of people have seen it, so if you are with a group of people and talking about movies and someone mentions donnie darko, you can be all like "yeah that movie is the [censored]!!" and only like one or two people have seen it, so you seem all cool because you like this weird movie.

The story line is also kind of weak, but the movie is strange enough that you can watch it and then be like "huh?" so if you act like its the greatest movie ever, it makes it seem like there is some sort of deeper meaning to the movie that you get. People will agree with you that it's so good because they feel if they don't it means they are somehow dumb or "uncool" because they don't get the deeper meaning (that totally isn't there). Its kind of like an emperors new clothes sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post. This is basically how I feel about 99% of all the music that every 20 something in NYC claims is "real music".

This post really nails down how I feel about a lot of pretentious (and even not so pretentious) people and their opinions on various art forms. Thanks for writing it.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 AM

Rushmore is much better than Donnie Darko. It is orignal without the pretentiousness.

Donnie Darko seems like a movie people talk about how "creative" and "orignal" it is to make themselves feel intelligent. He's schizophrenic. So what?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're that guy who's one step ahead of the hipsters. You say that it sucks because you think people will say they like it to be cool. Thus, you must be cooler than them right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting theory. I know this wasn't directed at me but for some reason I want to reply anyway. In my case I don't think it applies because I don't go around saying that a lot of stuff sucks to appear "cooler" than anybody else.

I have a problem with a) people saying that everything that reaches a certain amount of mainsteam popularity sucks or b) that some unknown garbage with a bit of an underground buzz about it is automatically great ESPECIALLY as Alobar's post said, when its brought up and only a select few of the people around can identify with it and of course, they all LOVE it and thereby are filled with an implied sense of superiority and must be more knowledgable than anyone else around.

I'm not cool at all, I think Eminem is a good rapper, I don't like rap, I like Linkin Park, I still buy Green Day CD's. I'm certainly not trying to one-up the hipsters in an effort to be "cooler" than them, believe me I don't care. I just can't help but roll my eyes when a guy at a college bar says he's into Jackson Pollack or something and then 1 or 2 Art Majors will perk up and all 3 of them clearly now think that they are the most brilliant, insightful, fascinating, etc people in the room. Know what I mean?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:04 AM

Yes, I do actually. I know exactly what you mean. This is something that bugs me as well. But, Sadly enough for me, I don't really pick what I like. Certain [censored] just appeals to me. I'm not trying to be cool. I made a post about how much I love the O.C. I could tell you a million reasons why Bob Marley is a genius. I don't think I'd be considered "elite" or "cool" for either. We were talking about a movie, a movie I genuinely like and think is good. I don't consider myself smarter than anyone. I think that this movie is good on many levels, it meets my criteria for being a good movie, so I said so. I dislike elitism very much, but if your beef with this movie is that a bunch of hipsters think they're cool for liking it, your opinion about it is based on something as arbitrary and self-involved as theirs.

BTW, I've done that, talked to someone about art while in the presence of people that don't know much about it. I just happened to get onto the subject, that's all. No malicious intent, no ego-boosting session, just talking to someone about something that interests me. I think you might be a little sensitive. oh, and btw, Pollock sucks ass.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:07 AM

Dude you like the OC? Wtf...