Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 06:14 AM

Default Donnie Darko

I watched it tonight and I have mixed feelings about it. Certainly original and interesting. Although I was somewhat left thinking that the best parts, The Darko family, and Donnie's relationships at school were distracted by the time travel aspects. Reminded me a lot of a twilight zone episode which I like.

The characters were superbly done.

Anways like I said I am unsure how I feel about it. I know some really like it and others hate it. So make your best case as to why it works or why it sucks.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Donnie Darko

http://www.tangent-universe.org/dump/time_travel.html
Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 AM

I watched this movie a while ago. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it. I guess he was schizophrenic? Maybe this was all a life-flashing-before-my-eyes type thing, I wasn't sure. All in all I thought it was a cool movie though, it made for some interesting night time tv.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:10 AM

I enjoyed this movie. When you watch it on a premium sound system you can get into the full effect of the movie.

I think of the things I liked about this movie, it was that it had a quality ending.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:41 AM

Donnie Darko is the pure nuts. This kid, lives for a week after he should have died in a freak accident so that he can discover time travel to go back in time to when he should have died. He actually lives in a parallel universe for a while. During this time, a giant bunny from the future tells him to do all this crazy [censored]. This movie is well written, has excellent characters, is original as hell, and is gratuitously funny. The pure nuts.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 AM

It was o.k. but I don't see how anyone can seriously make the case that this was some great movie. It was just o.k.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was o.k. but I don't see how anyone can seriously make the case that this was some great movie. It was just o.k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that pretty much sums up what I think. It was good but no where near great.

I watched the deleted scenes with director commentary which if included would have made the movie better.

My biggest problem was there was not enough clarity as to why Darko's living and then dying would save the world.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My biggest problem was there was not enough clarity as to why Darko's living and then dying would save the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

The realization of the only way he could save his girlfriend. The final scenes I think make the total movie come together. All the events are correct with the plot yet they dont even have much dialog to explain it. I think the real reason I enjoyed this movie, because I thought it was quality movie with a good plot and not some poorly written, badly acted hollywood movie, with most of the crap that comes out in theaters. Blade Trinity? Are you kidding?

I need to buy the director's cut of DD. It is not due out till feb 15th.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the real reason I enjoyed this movie, because I thought it was quality movie with a good plot and not some poorly written, badly acted hollywood movie, with most of the crap that comes out in theaters. Blade Trinity? Are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

This I agree with. It's original and not mindless which is worth something.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep it though.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:54 PM

I don't think the film is very original at all. American independent films with young, troubled but gifted men in a suburban environment (as seen in Rushmore, The Ice Storm, American Beauty etc) are just as formulaic (sp?) as most big budget action films, they just happen to have a smaller, older, more educated target audience and thus get more respect.