View Full Version : How to deal with big draws

junkmail3
07-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Middle stages of a party 33.

BB T50

Hero has T1500
SB: T1000
Button: T2000
Three other players left with even distribution of remaining chips.

Hero has K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

<font color="red"> Hero open raises to T150 from CO </font> , Button calls, SB calls BB folds.

(T500) Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB leads out for T150, <font color="red"> Hero ... ? </font>

07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
With the pot now being at 675 and you only have to call for 150, your getting pot odds of 4.5 - 1, and your on a flush draw giving you odds of 4 - 1 which means the correct move is to call.

The real worry here is the button is yet to act

junkmail3
07-19-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With the pot now being at 675 and you only have to call for 150, your getting pot odds of 4.5 - 1, and your on a flush draw giving you odds of 4 - 1 which means the correct move is to call.

The real worry here is the button is yet to act

[/ QUOTE ]

I could also semi-bluff raise to get a free card and knock out the button as well, and also see what the other players think of their hand.

I don't think the correct answer is to fold, but I'm not sure if I should just call or raise, and if raise, by how much?

Wes ManTooth
07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Definitely do not fold. Calling is an option, but then you may be faced with a difficult decision if the turn bricks and the villain bets out again this time say more then half the pot.
I think raising to 375-450 range is good. If villain folds you take down a good pot, if he calls then he may check the turn giving you many options to bet or check then. If villain re-raises all-in on your flop raise you may want to call, I would. This also depends on how tight/aggressive villian has been playing.

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Anyone consider pushing here?

Sabrazack
07-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Im pushing here most of the time, two overcards, a gutshot and second nut flushdraw is a nice hand.

adanthar
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Pushing isn't as strong as, say, raising to 500 and then pushing the turn.

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing isn't as strong as, say, raising to 500 and then pushing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SB has 850 chips left...if you raise to 500 and they call for another 350...say a brick hits the turn and you push they have to call. I would rather get my chips in here as a probable favorite then on the turn as a possible underdog.

adanthar
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
There's 3 people in the hand. If the button now cold calls the raise (think set) I can still get away on the turn.

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's 3 people in the hand. If the button now cold calls the raise (think set) I can still get away on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a hand you want to see to the river

junkmail3
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Alright, I think I liked adanthar's line, and that's what I ended up doing, sort of. I raised to T450, thinking I could possibly get the button to fold a mediocore hand that may end up beating me if a K/J hits and we check to the showdown, get some more defenition on the SB's hand, and possibly get a free card on the river.

That seems like a strong combination and argument for raising to T450/500 instead of going all in.

So, here's what ended up happening:

[ QUOTE ]
Middle stages of a party 33.

BB T50

Hero has T1500
SB: T1000
Button: T2000
Three other players left with even distribution of remaining chips.

Hero has K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

<font color="red"> Hero open raises to T150 from CO </font> , Button calls, SB calls BB folds.

(T500) Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB leads out for T150, <font color="red"> Hero ... ? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Hero raises to T450 </font>, Button min-raises to T750, SB re-raises all-in, <font color="red"> Hero ...? </font>

Pot is T2500 (if I added right).

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 12:08 PM
This is perfect for a call

Wes ManTooth
07-19-2005, 01:57 PM
If you fold you have 900 left. I am not too worried about the SB call all in, he was short stacked to begin with, he might have an over pair or two pair. The button Min re-raising you on the flop is interesting. If I had to put him on a hand it would be mostly be a set.
Calling this would not be a bad play, you may have to eliminate some of you outs like pairing your over cards, but with your draws your looking fairly strong.

I would push

Wes ManTooth
07-19-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is perfect for a call

[/ QUOTE ]

Call? calling does not put the button all in and leaves you with 400 left... either push or fold

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Sorry, if I wasn't more clear...I mean this is a perfect situation for you to call the all-ins...the more money the merrier. Yea, if you have anything left you obviously push...I wasn't even looking at stack sizes.

adanthar
07-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, *now* you have to call based solely on pot odds.

If the button had showed you his set, though (he basically did anyway, but unfortunately the SB came along) this suddenly isn't a hand you want to see a river with at all. Just because you have a nice 12 out draw doesn't mean you really really have to get all your chips in as a 3:2 dog when the pot odds are marginal.

Wes ManTooth
07-19-2005, 02:42 PM
yeah I thought that is what you meant.

Any final results junkmail3?

lastchance
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Reraises, all-in.

suited_ace
07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Hero raises to 400-500 and is married to his cards.

junkmail3
07-19-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reraises, all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had only a little left over the raise, so I raised all-in and we all saw the river together.

A blank for me,
a 'blank' for the Aces the SB had,
and a nice pot for the Tens the Button had.

I've been getting into a lot of situations like this, where I have a good flush draw, and sometimes a staright draw to go along with it, and every time the action comes back to me I have odds to call and I watch my stack dwindle on these draws. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I don't (just like gildwolf, or whatever posted today as well). So, I was just trying to find the best course of action when situations like this arise.

Thanks for the advice.