PDA

View Full Version : Ocean's 11 Rule : Exposed Card

GuyOnTilt
11-18-2004, 02:15 PM
I just remembered this. I was at Ocean's 11 last weekend for the first time. The dealer made a sloppy pitch and my first hole card did a complete flip in the air, exposing it to the table. It then hit the felt and did a bit of a skid with the card at maybe a 45 degree angle to the table and facing outward, trying to flip itself over but failing and landing face down. As the dealer continues pitching around the table, I take my card and nonchalantly flip it faceup and spin it a bit toward the center of the table, an indication that I need a new card. The dealer tells me I'm not allowed to do that and that I now have to play with the card faceup the rest of the hand. I'm like, "It was an exposed card." He tells me that the policy here is that the cards can do all the flipping, spinning, and exposing in the world, but as long as they end up facedown they cannot be killed. I'm a bit doubtful since tha would be one of the dumbest rules for a successful and experienced cardroom (which Ocean's 11 is) to have that I've heard of, so I politely ask if I can get the floor for an explaination. So the floor comes over, who's a really good floorman btw and whom I tipped more than once for his solid work, and tells me that yeah, it's a stupid rule and he's against it but apparently whoever's in charge of deciding what the rules are have decided that this is a good rule to have. I nod and accept it, but ask him what the reasoning is behind the rule. He has no clue.

FWIW, I would've sent the card back even if it hadn't done the semi-perpendicular skid thing.

GoT

mike l.
11-18-2004, 02:29 PM
yes we live with that ass rule all the time, it's complete nonsense. worst of all with a table full of regulars i spoke up and said why dont we try and get the rule changed and they all spoke up and had all these reasons why if we didnt everyone would be shooting angles all the time exposing cards.

coffeecrazy1
11-18-2004, 04:07 PM
The rule is ridiculous, and the regulars' support of it even more absurd.

slavic
11-19-2004, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes we live with that ass rule all the time, it's complete nonsense. worst of all with a table full of regulars i spoke up and said why dont we try and get the rule changed and they all spoke up and had all these reasons why if we didnt everyone would be shooting angles all the time exposing cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god,you must play with a bunch of sheap-el. How can they just accept that rule?

I guess since a bad pitch hurts my expectations, I'd likely not tip dealers who miss pitched during a round. I'm not trying to be mean just trying to limit the loss.

NLSoldier
11-19-2004, 08:22 PM
LOL!

What you forgot to mention was how terribly you played the hand...

GoTs exposed card was a king, so he played the hand anyways which was KQ. Flop came king high and he bet and everyone folded except this old lady who was the biggest call machine ever. She clearly had him beat but likely would have let him go to showdown for free anywyas cause she is just that passive. But noooo, GoT kept betting and of course got called down by her flopped 2 pair. I was quite amused /images/graemlins/smile.gif

megabit
11-20-2004, 02:30 AM
Damn when over the weekend was this? I think I may have been in that hand.

Mike

GuyOnTilt
11-20-2004, 02:48 AM
She clearly had him beat but likely would have let him go to showdown for free anywyas cause she is just that passive.

I hope that's not actually the read you had on that seat. She would see 95% of flops, always call the flop with any pair, any backdoor flush draw, any gutshot, or any two overs, and would call the turn with the exact same hands. When she calls the flop, I am most definitely ahead the vast majority of the time.

GoT

NLSoldier
11-20-2004, 04:44 AM
LOL, no I had the same read as you. The turn bet is fine I guess. But the river bet is horrible. Even though she was ULTRA loose, theres no way she calls the river with a worse hand after seeing your king.

JARID
11-21-2004, 04:03 AM
GOT,

Man, I love Ocean's 11, but thats a donkey rule. Good to know. Do you live in SoCal, or were you just visiting?

-Jarid

JARID
11-21-2004, 04:05 AM
Mike,

What game do you sit at Oceans?

-Jarid

megabit
11-21-2004, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

What game do you sit at Oceans?

-Jarid

[/ QUOTE ]

I sit in the $100 NL game for the most part. I'll wait for a seat in the $40 game sometimes. When the bank roll is flush I'll ocasionally step up to the $500 NL game.

Mike

JARID
11-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Mike,
Oh cool, NL ring isn't my thing. I'm small stakes. I like the 4-8 there with the kill. I heard the 20-40 is soft?

Thanks-
Jarid

vegasbob
11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Does anyone who plays at the oceans 11 trying for the $5000 in the racing for $$. I am thinking for trying for it and was wondering if anyone else is thinking of going for it.

BOB

megabit
11-22-2004, 01:59 AM
I have a card and get it scanned. Am I trying for the $5K... no I won't play there any more than I would have (or any less). I just don't get to worked up about $5per hour.

I'll cash in when the money starts to drop off in a few months. At the end it goes very fast. Last time I think $150K went in one day.

Mike