Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Ocean\'s 11 Rule : Exposed Card

I just remembered this. I was at Ocean's 11 last weekend for the first time. The dealer made a sloppy pitch and my first hole card did a complete flip in the air, exposing it to the table. It then hit the felt and did a bit of a skid with the card at maybe a 45 degree angle to the table and facing outward, trying to flip itself over but failing and landing face down. As the dealer continues pitching around the table, I take my card and nonchalantly flip it faceup and spin it a bit toward the center of the table, an indication that I need a new card. The dealer tells me I'm not allowed to do that and that I now have to play with the card faceup the rest of the hand. I'm like, "It was an exposed card." He tells me that the policy here is that the cards can do all the flipping, spinning, and exposing in the world, but as long as they end up facedown they cannot be killed. I'm a bit doubtful since tha would be one of the dumbest rules for a successful and experienced cardroom (which Ocean's 11 is) to have that I've heard of, so I politely ask if I can get the floor for an explaination. So the floor comes over, who's a really good floorman btw and whom I tipped more than once for his solid work, and tells me that yeah, it's a stupid rule and he's against it but apparently whoever's in charge of deciding what the rules are have decided that this is a good rule to have. I nod and accept it, but ask him what the reasoning is behind the rule. He has no clue.

FWIW, I would've sent the card back even if it hadn't done the semi-perpendicular skid thing.

GoT
Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Ocean\'s 11 Rule : Exposed Card

yes we live with that ass rule all the time, it's complete nonsense. worst of all with a table full of regulars i spoke up and said why dont we try and get the rule changed and they all spoke up and had all these reasons why if we didnt everyone would be shooting angles all the time exposing cards.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:07 PM

The rule is ridiculous, and the regulars' support of it even more absurd.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:50 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
yes we live with that ass rule all the time, it's complete nonsense. worst of all with a table full of regulars i spoke up and said why dont we try and get the rule changed and they all spoke up and had all these reasons why if we didnt everyone would be shooting angles all the time exposing cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god,you must play with a bunch of sheap-el. How can they just accept that rule?

I guess since a bad pitch hurts my expectations, I'd likely not tip dealers who miss pitched during a round. I'm not trying to be mean just trying to limit the loss.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 PM

LOL!

What you forgot to mention was how terribly you played the hand...

GoTs exposed card was a king, so he played the hand anyways which was KQ. Flop came king high and he bet and everyone folded except this old lady who was the biggest call machine ever. She clearly had him beat but likely would have let him go to showdown for free anywyas cause she is just that passive. But noooo, GoT kept betting and of course got called down by her flopped 2 pair. I was quite amused [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2004, 02:30 AM

Damn when over the weekend was this? I think I may have been in that hand.

Mike
Old 11-20-2004, 02:48 AM

She clearly had him beat but likely would have let him go to showdown for free anywyas cause she is just that passive.

I hope that's not actually the read you had on that seat. She would see 95% of flops, always call the flop with any pair, any backdoor flush draw, any gutshot, or any two overs, and would call the turn with the exact same hands. When she calls the flop, I am most definitely ahead the vast majority of the time.

GoT
Old 11-20-2004, 04:44 AM

LOL, no I had the same read as you. The turn bet is fine I guess. But the river bet is horrible. Even though she was ULTRA loose, theres no way she calls the river with a worse hand after seeing your king.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:03 AM

GOT,

Man, I love Ocean's 11, but thats a donkey rule. Good to know. Do you live in SoCal, or were you just visiting?

-Jarid
Old 11-21-2004, 04:05 AM

Mike,

What game do you sit at Oceans?

-Jarid