Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Cowboys

10 handed 20-40 online. Tight table. My raises are well respected. UTG i raise with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] All fold to BigBlind. He 3 bet and i call. Flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] BB bets i call. Turn pairs the 2. BB bets i call. River pairs the 3. BB bets i call.

Comments ?
Old 07-05-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Cowboys

Nice dress, however, a floral print may match your personality better.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:45 AM

I'll take a stab at this, but I don't claim to be offering the best answer:

I can't say that you played the hand awfully. I'm assuming you were hoping for a K high flush to improve your overpair, so I can understand the call on the flop. You might have rather raised at that point, to reduce the bb's pot odds in case he also was hoping for a flush. This could be a value raise if his flush draw was Q, J, or 10 high, which might be concievable if he 3-bet before the flop. Depending on the opponent, he may have reraised preflop with a pocket pair. You're just hoping he doesn't hold AK or AA with an A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Also, a raise on the flop could gain information: If he was holding a 77 for trips, his reraise could tell you where you stand. Even if it didn't tip you off to the set, you might have at least feared the nut flush enough to make a tight fold, thus saving the money you'd lose on fourth and fifth streets.

When it's heads-up and you hold an overpair with a draw to the second nut flush, my guess is that you'd want to be more aggressive. For all we know, he may have even bluffed, hoping you'd be worried about the flush. As the board paired, he was justified in continuing to bet, since your preflop raise signalled that the deuces and treys didn't help you.

The fact that you didn't raise on the flop tells him that you fear the flush. If he was in fact bluffing on the flop, your raise might cause him to back off on the turn and give you your free card.

There's just one big variable that makes this situation more difficult than it has to be: What is this player comfortable 3-betting with pre-flop? Hopefully your observances during the session helped you nail the possibilities.

Assuming you played the hand correctly and won the pot (winning the pot is your only goal if you're calling bets to the river - otherwise correct play might involve a tough lay-down), then you must have read him as the sort who would 3-bet out of the BB with AK or AQ offsuit as well as smaller pairs, like QQ down to 88. Still, no matter what type of player he is, I am hard-pressed to understand the added value in not raising on the flop.

As for the turn and river, well, what else can you do? You've already shown weakness on the flop but you can't necessarily give up the hand. Your failure to raise means you suffered from a lack of information. Calling it down is all you could do, with the possible exception of raising on the turn to suggest that you were sandbagging with the flush.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Cowboys result

I was sure the player wouldn't 3 bet my UTG raise with anything else than KK AA AKs and maybe QQ. I was thinking of raising the river but what for. He wouldn't lay down a better hand and probably not call when beat exept for QQ. If i wasn't beat and he was bluffing ; why stop him from doing so? Anyway: he held the other Kings and we split the pot. Against other players i see the benefit of raising the flop or even the turn but if everybody fears my raises but 3 bet me i believe it's best to slow down a bit.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:23 AM

Raise the damn river at the very least. He might not reraise with aces and he's paying you with all of his possible hands.

Edit: Meant to respond to the original post.

-Michael
Old 07-05-2004, 09:46 AM

Put in a raise somewhere!

You have an overpair with the 2nd nut flush draw.Your really only afraid of a hand with the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Unless you know this player very well, I think that your range of hands that he would 3 bet is a little too narrow.

I would pop him on the turn. If he has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Kx, this may be the last chance you get to extract $ from him. If he has a smaller overpair without a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you will likely get called on the turn but a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the river will likely kill your action. If they have a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] they will draw (dead) to the flush HU. I think that waiting to the river would likely leave a bet on the table.

If he has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Ax, well then, nice hand...
Old 07-05-2004, 11:09 AM

if you don't cap preflop, then raise the turn
Old 07-05-2004, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was sure the player wouldn't 3 bet my UTG raise with anything else than KK AA AKs and maybe QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have mentioned this in your original post.

you should have raised at some point.. preflop (i.e. cap) or post flop
Old 07-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if he'll do it with AKs KK and QQ (all of which you beat or tie with a redraw on the turn) it's still more likely for him to hold one of those than AA
Old 07-05-2004, 04:25 PM

For Christ's sake man. When I'm HU, I would _occasionally_ just call a 3-bet with KK or AA, but that would only be for deception purposes and I'm definitely raising the turn or the river at the very least.

And it's OK to be straightforward here. Cap Preflop. Cap the flop if at all possible. Raise the turn and if reraised there, call down. You have the 2nd best freaking hand in hold'em. Use it.