Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Right to push in here?

This was the Pokerstars 500 FPP sat to next Sunday's $250K. The last 9 seats get the buy-in. At this point I'm 11th of 12 players remaining and probably one more double-up away from being safely in.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (6 handed)

UTG (t11826)
MP (t31889)
CO (t9095)
Button (t20226)
SB (t19950)
Hero (t9125)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t1600</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t800.

Flop: (t2650) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t7475 (All-In)</font>, CO calls t7445 (All-In).

Turn: (t17570) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t17570) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t17570
<font color="green">Main Pot: t17540 (t17540), between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (t17540).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t30 (t30), returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kc Td (full house, tens full of queens).
CO shows As Qd (full house, queens full of tens).
Outcome: CO wins t17540. Hero wins t30. </font>
Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Right to push in here?

Before the flop, if you believe the CO is on a steal, you should push all-in.

If you believe the CO has a legit hand, you should fold. KTo is a toilet paper hand in NL, and you're calling for 9 percent of your stack right here.

You'd eliminate tough decisions like this one had you either moved in or folded before the flop. And since this is a satellite where you're so close to making it, I stay away from coin flips at this stage.

Because you did neither, you put yourself into an even bigger quandry. I would lead out on the flop here, but I wouldn't put my entire stack out there. I would see my opponent's reaction, and if he calls, I shut 'er down and wait for an opportunity when I figure I have the better of it going in. You don't here.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Somehow I knew this would be the first reply, because I hated my pre-flop call as soon as I made it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd been pushing all-in pre-flop with any pair for the last 4 orbits and getting folds every time, and probably should have done so again. With his A-Q I suspect he would've called anyway and I'd end up in the same position.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:15 PM

One more thing:

In a tournament setup (in this case, a satellite) where 1-9 pays exactly the same, the point about avoiding coin flips late is even more pronounced.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:26 PM

Good point, and thanks again for the advice.

I've really wanted to play more MTTs lately since I think I'm right on the edge of being able to play them decently... it's just critical decisions like these in the late stages that cost me big. Somehow late stages of SNGs aren't quite the same.