Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Party 15/30 Stats

OK, I feel like I'm in limbo as I've been posting (and playing) in the shorthanded forum for so long now. I hope this is well received.

For those who don't know, I'm trying to learn to play full ring again in the Party 15/30 and it's been quite difficult.

after 20,000+ hands, I was down $1000. Not much, but down??? OMG, panic.

So, today I bumped it up from 6 to 8 tables and tightened my play even more. This seemed to work. I played 15% of the pots preflop according to Party's little "stats" button. And I won 5% of the hands. That's right, only 5%. But, I won $2300 over 3000 hands. That's still lower than where I'd like to be, but it's much better than LOSING money.

Now, what do people think about this retardedly tight strategy? Is anyone else doing this? Is it working for you?

Open for discussion... man, I hope someone has something to say.

Thanks!

soda
Old 07-03-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Party 15/30 Stats

What's your name there? I'll be happy to grab a seat at your table. I doubt your results will become any better playing that many tables. Not even the tightest preflop-play will help if you don't know what others do. It's not worth it. Even if you win a little; i bet you could make as much or probably even more playing 2 tables with a good gameselection.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:45 PM

I generally play 5-7 tables and have a stat window flops seen of 15-21%, If I win 8% of my hands I generally have a winning session, 7 is hit or miss depending upon the size of the pots I win'lose. 6% of pots won is most of the time a losing session.

My PT VPIP is around 18% and I have a respectable, tho not spectacular win rate over 26k hands.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:55 PM

I usually just browse the HS Forum but, I wouldn't say those numbers are retardedly tight. Your win% of flops seen is still 33% which isn't that bad. I'm assuming at 15/30 your not getting many free rides in the BB so your 15% is probably close as a VP$IP. I don't know what to make of the 5% win % but again if your playing tight how high is that number going to get? 7-8%. As long as your not getting pushed off of hands or playing your strong hands to passively isn't this "ABC poker."

RickA
Old 07-03-2004, 01:04 PM

Yeah, it is ABC poker pretty much.

I'm playing AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, TT - first in and for a raise. Reraising all the big ones, occasionally calling with AK and TT. I'm folding all else for a raise. If the pot is multiway, I'm calling with KQs, AQs, 99, 88, 77, 66 even for a raise.

I'm making proper odds calls with weaker hands in the blinds, which means I'm folding a lot of blinds. I do not battle in the blinds unless I have a premium holding or I see that my raises are over-respected (which tends to happen after a while).

UTG, I'm calling 77-99, KQs (folding KQo), AJs and that's about it. To mix it up, I'll occassionally call with crap like JTs, QTs, KTs, UTG in this game. I mix that up with limp reraising AA, KK, or AKs UTG, mostly AA though.

I tend to call down more when HU and get away from second bests when other people are in the pot. I did a nice job of not calling down too much last night. This was my biggest leak by far after coming from the short games.

OK, that's the current strategy. Any thoughts are appreciated.

soda
Old 07-03-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Poker Tracker Numbers

Some poker tracker numbers for the Party 15/30:

PFR% 8.06
Won $ at SD 56.32
Went to SD 31.47
VPIP 19.06
VPIP (tight strat) 13.19

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

soda
Old 07-03-2004, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you win a little; i bet you could make as much or probably even more playing 2 tables with a good gameselection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. If you win 1BB per 100 hands at 8 tables, that's 8BB's per 100. At 2 tables, you'd need to make 4BB's on each. This is very difficult to do, even with great game selection and excellent play. I don't know if it can be done in the Party games.

1BB per table while multitabling is a very modest goal.

soda
Old 07-03-2004, 01:13 PM

Yes, calling down too much after extended shorthanded play can be a real bitch. You know you need to reexamine your play when you make a ridiculous call on a nasty board with 66 and don't realize how ridiculous it was until ten minutes after the pot has been pushed to your opponent.

-Michael
Old 07-03-2004, 06:40 PM

I play multiple talbes of 15/30 and I'm a frickin rock: VP$IP 13.8% after like 60k hands.

I really don't see much downside to being incredibly tight in this game as the marginal hands I throw away increase my variance and most players don't notice how tight I am, and still give me tons of action on my made hands. I'm not even sure I'm giving up EV by playing so tight, as I don't know whether I could play these additional hands well enough while 4-tabling.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:00 PM

I think if you're having problems beating the games, the LAST thing you should do is play more tables simultaneously! This just seems common sense. But it's good to hear you ran well today added $2300 to the win column.