Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Could I have avoided this?

This is my first post here, so I'll try to make it good. The game in question is a 5 man $20buyin cash no-limit home game. After a few hours of play, the stacks are:

Hero: $58
LAG (also drunk): $66

Blinds are $0.50/$1.00

Hero is on the BB, LAG has SB/Button.

LAG raises to $2.50
Hero reraises to $7.50
LAG calls

Flop:

5-5-3, rainbow

Hero bets $10
LAG pushes all in
Hero calls

Hero: AA
LAG: A3o

Turn: 9
River: 3

Now obviously, this guy hit a 2outer, but probably belonged in the hand. So the question is, should I have pushed pre-flop? He didn't fold much in general, and my gut says he'd *never* fold an ace. So could I have done anything differently, or is this just a case of 'good players lose with bad cards', 'aces sometimes get cracked', etc.? Please give me some input here.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Could I have avoided this?

it doesnt help you in this case to get allin preflop, and obviously you dont want a3 to fold. you played it fine and got everything you should have wanted, you just got unlucky.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:49 AM

Its a horrible bad beat. You playd it perfect and got a sucker to push his chips with bottom pair then he proceeded to hit a lucky card. It happens and it feels horrible especially in NL were u lose your whole stack.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 AM

You got all his money into the pot. Well done.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:43 AM

Sure you COULD have avoided this... but you would have been INSANE to do so.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:05 AM

"Sure you COULD have avoided this... but you would have been INSANE to do so."

i second this statement.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:59 AM

You got all the money in with the best of it and lost. . .

However there are other alternate plays you could have done, of course the end result would have been the same, but it's just something to think about.

On the flop I think a better play would be to check. If he bets you can check raise and if he checks behind you are giving him a chance to hit a pair if he holds something like KQ. . .I don't think on this flop you need to be worried about free cards.

Second option would be to bet the pot on the flop. .no messing around with this guy. . . .make him pay. . . he won't always push bottom pair here I don't think, but he will call, so pot it.

Tough luck to lose this hand but with solid play I'm sure you take a lot from this guy on a consistent basis.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Sure you COULD have avoided this... but you would have been INSANE to do so."

i second this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]Going to have to third it.

Same thing happened to me tonight at a home game. Aces cracked on a raggedy Ten high flop by a joker who paired his TP-Eight kicker on the turn. And he called my UTG $5.00 pre-flop raise (.25/.50 NL HE) from the small blind.

Sometimes people are going to call with weak hands and catch some BS to beat you. Shake it off, and realize that most of the time, someone calling your Aces-down with crap will get rocked.

The thing that ticks me off the most though (yeah, I know I just said "shake it off") is when they justify their completely moronic call pre-flop with "I just had a feeling about this hand." While they're trying to get the good players at the table to stop looking at their fiasco like they just grew a second head and three more arms, it doesn't make you feel better that you feel like you just lost to The Amazing Crescan. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]