I have 7d 7h 9s Qc

Flop 4c 5c 7s

I check top set BB checks

UTG1 bets pot $12.35
MP folds
MP2 raises $24.65 to $37 and is all-in
MP3 calls $37

I call (first bad play ???)
Folded back to first raiser who reraises $157 to $194 and is all in.

So the pot is $468 dollars and I have $128 left Im getting 3.6-1 for my call.

I put the two larger stacks on the current nut straight and with a read on the short stack all in the nut flush draw.I do realise that I could be up against a lower set,reducing my outs,but if there all live I have 7 on the turn and hopefully 10 on the river.I do a quick maths quiz and reckon I'm about 2-1 to hit and Im pretty sure if I do hit I win,so I called and filled up on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Did I play it correctly though,I'm still not sure [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 08:34 PM

Default do ya feel lucky.......well, do ya, punk?

Whenever you play a draw against an obviously 'made' hand you must get 'lucky' to win.

Yes, you do have the odds to call, tho I think the effective odds are more like 2.5 or 3 to 1 depending on how many of your outs are dead. You have 1 club which helps you a little against the flush draw.

Other things to consider when making this type of call for your whole stack:

How much was your buy-in?
Will you just rebuy if you lose, or go home?
What is the size of your bankroll?
(If you buy-in for $100 or $200 your bankroll should be minimum $5000. Unless you are a recreational gambler who doesn't mind losing his stack and walkin away until the next real job paycheck comes in. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Are the other players at the table better than you, or below-average players? If you are the best player at the table there will be plenty of better opportunities for your money!

Would you normally play this hand (pocket 7s) or did your SB contribution entice you to play it?

MAY THE ODDS BE WITH YOU [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Re: do ya feel lucky.......well, do ya, punk?

Hi curmudgeon thanks for the reply

The bankroll and buy-in isnt really an issue,although I was suprised I would need such a large bankroll for a $200 max buy in game.(lucky I have that covered [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

So in answer to your questions,

I had bought in for 200 and reloaded back upto 200 after dropping down to 100,so I'd bought in for a total of 300 so far.

While I could easily afford to reload I'm not sure I would have if I had lost.but this was just a state of mind issue not a bankroll one.

Don't be nosey [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] lets just say its sufficient [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Would I normally play this hand? no,the only reason was I was getting 7-1 in the sb to play so thought it was worth a buck to see what happened.

The next question is a bit more tricky.I am only just starting out at omaha,I have experience of sorts but woudnt describe myself as an expert by a long stretch.I have read Ciaffones books on Omaha and PL/NL and would describe myself as reasonably tight,carefull player who gets aggressive when I have an opportunity too.Not afraid to stick the money in if I think it's correct to do so etc...

I started playing 1/2 and have been suprisingly succesfull,I certainly don't know the subtlties of the game yet,just the basic rules (13 outs on a draw etc..) so I probably woudnt know a tough game if it slapped me around the face and called me Suzie [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

All I've found so far is,at the 1/2 level people play an awfull lot of hands I woudnt play and AAxx isn't worth a raise,unless its a re-raise. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 11:53 AM

Whitey,

I guess your statement that [ QUOTE ]
All I've found so far is,at the 1/2 level people play an awfull lot of hands I woudnt play

[/ QUOTE ] is quite true - just realize that includes you [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Your hand just isn't worth 1/2 a bet IMHO. If you do not hit that set or some other miracle flop, you are toast. Unless the flop is quads, any other hand is very vulnerable. These are the types of hands that will cost you your stack. Say you flop a nut str8 - 6-8-T - you are very vulnerable to higher str8s, flushes (even runner runner) and full houses and the only over card you can stand is a J. Not a pretty position to be in. Even if you flop a full house - say 779 - you still do not have the nuts and are vulnerable to higher full houses.

Remove this type of hand from your playable list and you will have much more success. That includes if you are BB and no one raises, when the flop comes and the betting is heavy - get out. Save your chips for better situations rather than rely on luck. Poker is not a game of luck, but of skill. You got lucky here.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:06 PM

Hi iblucky4u2

Does that mean I should still fold a 7-1 shot if I can get away from the hands you listed?? I realise I can flop a nut straight and be in big trouble,but these are the type of hands I play really soft.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you flop a full house - say 779

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be quads [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean I should still fold a 7-1 shot if I can get away from the hands you listed??

[/ QUOTE ] For now - YES!!! Until you demonstrate the discipline required to fold these types of hands it would serve you better to fold - even for half a bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you flop a full house - say 779

this would be quads

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] - sorry about that - I meant 799.