Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Concept from 7CSFAP - Small Pair with Ace or King Kicker

In 7CSFAP, they discuss raising with a small pair and a higher kicker to get heads up with an opponent. Later in the text, the authors mention calling with this in you can't get HU.

What about multi-way in a semi-passive game? Is it worth calling and going to 5th street to see if you pick up trips or pair your kicker? My idea would be that if you improve, try to put pressure on opponents so that you limit the field since two pair or small trips requires few opponents to win at the River. If you don't improve, fold.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Concept from 7CSFAP - Small Pair with Ace or King Kicker

It depends on the ante. If you play in a low ante game like Pokerstars 1/2 with .10$ ante or 3/6 with .25$ ante, you should actually fold your 4A4 against a tight raiser who seem to have a big pair. The ante described in 7CSFAP is 2 times that.

Other than that it is worth a limp late after some limper or to raise as a steal if the game is tight enough. I agree with you that you should not try to raise it in a loose game with a high ante to try to make it heads-ups except in late position with no limper.

I play them as you said except that I wont automatically call the 4th street bet if theres some action or some player seem to be on a draw. I will sometimes call a 5th street bet unimproved if still nobody is treathening and my cards are really live or if catch another high kicker, a gutshot straight draw, etc... I have to odds to do so if nobody else have improve.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 PM

this is a hand when played multi way needs to have a few other things going for it; s00tedness, the ability to get in cheap, favorable position, etc. I like it in a weak passive tight game where I might get a free look at a card or two as well as swipe some antes .

somthing like 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] with live spades and live [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]'s late position or maybe somthing like 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in a early or late position (image counts with this one)

In stud there are so many factors to make a play right or wrong. this is one that can go either way in a hurry. so beware.

timmer
Old 07-06-2004, 12:12 PM

I think another thing too concsider is bets on third street. If there are no raises, or just one from the higher pair, playing till fifth and re-raising original bettor can make it one on one, cause players aren't exactly pot commited. I'm somewhat new too stud, but I believe position and action on third are keys to playing that hand on fifth. Thoughts, comments?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 AM

7CSFAP only refined this concept. It appears in The Education Of A Poker Player (1957) by Herbert O. Yardley.