Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 11:58 AM

Default 2-4 hand

I thought this hand might be of interest to the forum. 2-4 online.

4 limpers to me in the SB with AsKs. I raise, BB folds and everyone else calls. 4.5BBs and 4 players.

Flop: Qs 5h 6h. I bet, EP calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO raises, I call, EP calls. 7.5BBs and 3 players.

Turn: 2c. I check, EP checks, CO bets, I raise, EP folds, CO calls.

River: 5d. I check, CO checks, MHIG.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:02 PM

Default Re: 2-4 hand

Clark,

What was the thought process on the turn, how were you so sure that he was on a draw?

p.s. you play 2/4 online?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM

Clarkmeister:

I have to admit, I would find it hard to play it this way with no reads. CO could easily be on a draw, but couldn't he play a Q this way? You have to fold if he bets this river, right?

--Rico
Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. you play 2/4 online?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I was at a friends house trying to help him tinker with his game, and I played for a while while he watched to help us identify where he was playing differently and might be able to change some stuff.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:10 PM

Clark, do you call a river bet?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:11 PM

What did you have him on that raising the turn seemed like a good idea? Unless you were trying to push EP out, which I wouldn't be worried about...you aren't afraid of overs and raising gives him around 5:1 odds to draw to 4:1 flush. Why not keep him in?

I'd assume you were hoping EP and CO would fold to your turn CR there and take it down...although that is pretty unlikely in a 2/4 game. (at least for CO "who already has 1BB in" mentality)

River play, as I think about it seems good. He isn't going to call a river bet with a busted drawing hand but it may induce a bluff from a player knowing he can only win on the river if he bets it and you fold. Although most 2/4 players won't bet here without something, they aren't thinking about what you are thinking and will perceive your turn CR as a strong move with a big hand. Betting AK here seems futile as either you are way ahead with your overs to a busted draw that won't call or way behind to just about anything else that will call or raise the river bet.

The question is...would you call his river bet when checked to after he called your turn CR? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2004, 12:17 PM

I don't understand the turn check/raise. Unless I know the CO will bet with anything in this spot and is aggressive enough to raise with a real hand on the flop, then I wouldn't make this play. Without that information, raising to knock out EP does not appear to be +EV.

Please explain your rationale for this move.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:20 PM

Ahh, thats what I figured. I also thought you got stressed out from your usual game and went down to 2/4 to blow off some steam...that at least explain the turn check raise. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2004, 12:24 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

this reminds me of an AQo hadn that was posted today. I threw out the possibility of check-raising the turn with overcards after the guy to his right bet. if you get a chance, I'd really appreciate some insight into that. It was a post started by Saborion called AQo Standard? or soething like that.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh, thats what I figured. I also thought you got stressed out from your usual game and went down to 2/4 to blow off some steam...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, nice try though. I said I wanted to help my friend