Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 AM

Default the hand from hell

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (10 handed)

MP2 ($10.40)
MP3 ($4.95)
CO ($14.35)
Button ($5.65)
SB ($21.35)
Hero ($15)
UTG ($18.90)
UTG+1 ($6)
UTG+2 ($76.50)
MP1 ($9.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.25, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets $1.5, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.50, SB folds.

Turn: ($4.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($4.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $3, CO goes all-in for $12.60. 2283
calls.

Final Pot: $28.70
<font color="green">Main Pot: $28.70, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO ($28.70).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9c Ad (full house, sixes full of aces).
CO shows 5h 6h (four of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: CO wins $28.70 </font>
Old 06-25-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: the hand from hell

well here's a question. why are you betting into 5 players out of position in a small pot with no hand?
Old 06-25-2004, 02:56 AM

dont you mean "bluffing" 5 players? heh.

i bet because i figure pocket pairs reflexively raise to protect their boats from overcards and aces just call, as this is a tighter table for these stakes. then i see what the turn brings and decide whether to encourage any callers to fold. failed to plan for quads though.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:14 AM

I had a similar (but worse in my opinion) hand from hell. Live NL game, UTG with AA. I limp hoping to get it raised back to me. Instead, practically the whole table limps. Flop is KKK. I bet with the second nuts and get raised. Luckily the person with the 4th king has some bad tells and knew she did in fact have it. I was able to keep my loses there to a minimum luckily.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:09 AM

Default You know what?

In a live game, I feel pretty comfortable with my full house. Online, damn near every time there's trips on the board, the quads are there....

Knowing that there was no raise before the flop, there's a pretty fair chance that the 6 was out there. You've got to move garbage hands out... That's what pre-flop raises are for!

--Samiam--
Old 06-26-2004, 01:24 AM

Default Re: You know what?

[ QUOTE ]
there's a pretty fair chance that the 6 was out there

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont agree with this. people play some junk, but the odds that a 6 is being played, even limped in late position, with this board are really, really low. i would expect to see the quads maybe one time in 15-20 from someone not in the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
You've got to move garbage hands out... That's what pre-flop raises are for!

[/ QUOTE ]

so i should start raising A9o from the BB to avoid this type of situation??
Old 06-26-2004, 01:34 AM

Again, LIVE, sure, expect it to be one time in 15-20. Online, though, it's a lot more frequent than that.

And this isn't even taking into account the dramatically higher incidence of trips on the board online...

Sounds like you are just stuck, though. You don't want to raise the A9o (which is reasonable,) but the dude with the 5h 6h played you like a Stradivarius -- he let you bet right into him. Prolly felt like XMas to him, especially when you called the all-in...

--Samiam--
Old 06-26-2004, 01:53 AM

I’m sure I’m being dense here – I have no reason to believe the converter isn’t working properly. But I can’t figure out the math here. It looks to me like there’s $20.10 in the pot, and our Hero has to put in $9.60 to call it.

He calls.

Why, therefore, is the pot on the end $28.70 instead of $29.70?
Old 06-26-2004, 01:54 AM

i meant online.

i dont believe there is a higher incidence of trips on the board online than live. i think that's a misperception of yours brought on by the fact that you play many more hands/hr online than live. i believe that the shuffling online is as essentially random as shuffling real decks. they go to a lot of trouble to make the deals as random as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
but the dude with the 5h 6h played you like a Stradivarius

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont really see another way to for him to play it other than to give me time to hit something and go allin by the river.

when the only hands im losing to are pocket aces or a six, i have to call. for one thing, most flops fall with no players playing a six, even when six people see it. so when three of the four sixes in the deck are on the board, the probability that someone not playing from the blinds has the last six is very low.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:00 AM

People will play suited 56, 67, A6 with abandon, and there's also a chance 46, 68 and K6 will be played.

You're right that the probability is low someone will be dealt one of those hands in a given deal, but given the way the hand was played, it's not so unlikely that someone has a 6 on this particular deal.

Why did the guy call the flop, check behind on the turn, and then go all-in on the river? Because he was afraid of losing his victim and the river was his last chance to get paid off. He didn't want to show any strength. The pot is laying you slightly better than even money to call. I think in this sequence the guy probably is not bluffing, but it's a tough decision.

Betting the flop was O.K. It's a scary board, and as you point out, it's not likely someone was dealt a 6. Betting may take it down right there if no one has a PP or the 6, and you can thin out the crowd to increase the odds that your bare Ace will win.

One you pair on the turn you shouldn't bet again. No one with a worse hand will call you, and no one who's behind you can beat you, so there's no reason to protect your hand. So your turn check was good.

Similarly there's no reason to bet the river. You should expect to win in the neighborhood of 55 to 60% of the time you are called when you bet on the end. You have nowhere near that chance of winning if you are called.

Checking allows you to induce bluffs from worse hands, increasing your gain. If someone overbets the pot, it's easy for you to get away from your hand if you want.

So recapping, the play of the hand was fine except for the river, where the call was a bit quesitionable, but the major mistake was the bet.