Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Data on all-in calls

Does anyone have any data (or just opinions are OK too) on what hands to move all-in with and call all-in with based on stack size? E.g. if your stack is 10BB, what hands to you bet all-in with, or call all-in with? Same with 20, 50, etc.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Data on all-in calls

I'm just a neophyte, but i'll bite: doesn't Sklansky's tournament book cover this mathematically?
Old 06-24-2004, 05:42 PM

Not the original version (except in a very generalized way). Maybe a revised version does. Also it just deals with hands you could go all-in with but doesn't discuss what hands to call with.

I used to have a spreadsheet that someone on twoplustwo sent me, but I got a new computer and lost it. Something that struck me was that the hands you can afford to go all-in with are much weaker than what you might think intuitively (at least that was the case for me).
Old 06-24-2004, 05:46 PM

Should consider player you're up against, of course. If they're super tight and likely would only bet enough to set you all-in when they hold big pairs, you're best off with mid-sized suited connectors against those type hands, especially if, say, your opponent's pocket Kings are red and you got clubs or spades. (Sometimes you CAN learn something from WPT broadcasts, ay?) Still a dog, but less of a dog.

So considering your opponent is really putting a read on what you're up against.

I'm hoping somebody has something like what you're talking about, though, cuz i'd love to read it.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:45 PM

I'm thinking from a theroetical standpoint. I might try cross posting this to the theoretical forum.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:32 AM

i checked Sklansky's book on tournament HE and you're right that he doesn't have what you were asking for

after i left for work, though, i remembered that one of McEvoy's books has something of a chart about when to push it all in IF YOU'RE GOING TO ENTER THE POT in a no limit tourney and this chart was based on your stack size relative to the size of the blinds&antes. I'll try to remember to find it tonight.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:55 AM

This might help:

http://www.jazbo.com/poker/huholdem.html
Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 AM

That chart you sent us to, that's for heads-up situations only, right? So if you have 32o against one opponent who could have any two cards, you're roughly 2-to-1 underdog.

Anybody know of someone running all these for multiple random opponents? Would it not be useful to try it?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:40 AM

There was a thread quite some time ago in I think the SNG forum (may have been the MTT one though) it had a similar chart but weighted against hands more likely to either be putting you all in or that an all in would be called on, there was also comparison to the standard chart and I think to another one with a different weighting.

I cant remember who posted it but a bit searching may find it, I have printed it out but is at home so may be ablke to provide a URL later.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:57 PM

The chart i remembered from McEvoy was from his book with Daugherty in "the new player series" called *No-Limit Texas Hold'em.* It's very simplistic (i.e., essentially go all-in if you have only 5-times the BB or less), applies mainly to ante/blind structures for online tournaments (not B&M), and doesn't factor anything else in.