Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Always monsters in the closet?

I posted behind the button and everyone folded to me. I autoraised, I barely looked at my cards. I'm not familiar with the players, especially the blinds. The small blind three bet and the big blind called.

I have Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I called.

FLOP: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The blinds checked to me. It felt like a monster was in the closet and ready to pounce, but I bet because that seemed like the correct thing to do. Both blinds called.

TURN: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Both blinds checked again. I felt like the monster fled the closet to position itself under the bed; it's more strategic. But I bet again. This time the small blind check-raised and the big blind folded. I felt the monster had loomed over me and I was almost choked by its imminent stranglehold. I prepared myself to fire back with a reraise but didn't.

Do you?

~stephen
Old 06-24-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Always monsters in the closet?

The turn raise could mean AA, KK, JJ, TT or even AK or KJ depending on the opponent. It could also mean AQo, though. However I want my opponent to let me know he has AQo, and I figure that out by 3 betting the turn. If it is capped and you are bet into on the river, then you can think about just calling and not raising.

-rory
Old 06-24-2004, 02:05 PM

In the party 15 I think you have to 3 bet this on the turn -there is a huge range of hands the avg player will do this with, including OESDs, 4 flush, or pair + OESD/flush... In which case, make him pay to see the river and find a cheap showdown on the river - call a bet or bet if checked to. if he check/raises you again on 5th street and show shows AQo, then well played, but against 100 random players in the 15 I think you win more than your share even given the betting action until the turn.

stox.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:13 PM

stephen,

recently, when you post a hand it seems pretty clear what you have to do.

is this live? you said "barely looked at my cards" so that means to me you have to pick them up and look at them. if so i'd have to ask for a lot more information.

the blinds checked how smooth was it? what was the sb's reaction to your bet, did he look away, at the board, at you? at your chips? were his hands shaking? was it a smooth call or a "wait, uh, ok NOW i'll call."

in either case you're nuts if you don't 3 bet...THERE IS ONE HAND you lose to, and EVERY SINGLE OTHER POSSIBLE HAND you have drawing or 100% dead. since its heads up i'd go another few bets and then if bet into on the river maybe raise again and call the 3 bet back.

this doesn't even seem remotely close.

-Barron
Old 06-24-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It felt like a monster was in the closet and ready to pounce

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I prepared myself to fire back with a reraise but didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was indeed a monster, but it didn't pounce.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:46 PM

No question you 3-bet here. Particularly given that you came into the pot on a steal, players will take this kind of shot at you will a helluva lot less than AQ.

If you have a serious doubt about the 3-bet, you need to do some time in weak-tight reform school.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM

Those are some serious monsters you're seeing. Reraise, its a no brainer.

-ActionBob
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM

However I want my opponent to let me know he has AQo, and I figure that out by 3 betting the turn. If it is capped and you are bet into on the river, then you can think about just calling and not raising.

I'd think about it for about a half a second then raise.

-ActionBoB
Old 06-24-2004, 04:55 PM

I think not 3-betting would be prudent. Especially if you are showdown bound.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:01 PM

please elaborate on how not 3betting is prudent if he's showdown bound...

this line is reserved for hands that may lose equity by not showing down, may not be the best but have a decent chance of winning, but whose chance of winning goes WAY down if you 3bet AND are 4bet.

this is not the case imo.

please explain your reasoning.

-Barron