Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 04:38 PM

Default AK in the SB

I recently posted this on a local forum run by some guys at my school. It created quite a debate, one which is yet to settled. I'm posting here hoping that some of the veterans will give their opinion and help us to settle that controversy.

Here is the hand....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($18)
CO ($82.20)
Button ($29.10)
Hero ($26.85)
BB ($23)
UTG ($15.95)
UTG+1 ($18.75)
MP1 ($31.90)
MP2 ($69.80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $2, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero..........

What do you do here? I have no info about this guy other than that he plays NL25.

OK well here is the rest of the hand.....

Hero raises to $7, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls $5.

Flop: ($15) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SO NOW WHAT?!

Here is what I did, but I don't think it was the correct move, but I'm not sure....(hence me posting)

Hero bets $8, MP2 raises to $16, Hero folds.

I've heard everything from calling to raising to pushing.

I'd like advice on what should be done preflop and on the flop. Thanks guys.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Re: AK in the SB

Refer to this page to see how completely and utterly wrong everyone else is and how right I am:

http://www.umasspoker.com/forum/view...hp?p=1074#1074
Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 PM

I smooth call his raise from the SB. If the flop comes with all unders, I'm more than happy to check/fold to any steal bet he has. You only lost the $2 PF. If the A or K shows up, then it gets a bit tricky. Most PP players will raise any flop HU, regardless of hit or miss. One very effective play I'm finding for information is the min c/r. If you hit TPTK, check to him on the flop and min raise any bet he makes. If he goes over the top it's an easy fold. If he calls, then you're most likely ahead and can lead out on the turn barring any scare cards. You need to keep an eye out for tricky players who will slowplay their AA or KK, but for the most part, the avg PPer will reraise you on that flop with the goods. What do you think?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:07 PM

i would reraise preflop as you did and the push on the flop. it's barely overbetting the pot, and if you get called you'll probably have 6 outs plus some backdoor flush/straight.

i don't think your line was too bad though. one reason i don't especially like it is that folding to a flop raise sucks b/c it might make people inclined to bluff raise on the flop, which hurts your stealing chances later.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:45 PM

you have 10 left when he raises you. your calling about 10 more to win a 45 dollar pot, so about 35 dollars. your A and K may or may not be good. calculate the odds assuming those 6 outs are good, and then calculate your odds assuming 3 are good. id say your drawing to an average of 4 outs. then compare those odds to the odds the pot is laying you. thats all there is to it. no need for a huge arguement or debate in that thread
Old 06-23-2004, 09:47 PM

Cornell, this isn't about calling on the flop, it's about preflop.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard everything from calling to raising to pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

with these stacks, all 3 of these options are the basically the same. its between folding and calling/raising/pushing
Old 06-24-2004, 12:16 AM

I can't even begin to count how often I've blown a tournament or lost my whole stack by overplaying AK when I don't hit the flop. That said, here's what I'd do...

In this particular case, I would call preflop as it would be impossible for the other player to put you on AK so if the the flop with an A or K you have a much better opportunity to trap or move in depending on your style. If you fold to a bet on the flop when nothing hits, he's none the wiser. Or, move-in preflop as you may need a card up until the river so might as well take the decision out of it.

I like Doyle Brunson's advice on AK...its easy to either win a nice sized pot or get out right away. If you don't hit, throw it away, no harm done.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: ($15) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SO NOW WHAT?!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh this made me think question was about flop

well, if its preflop, raising without pushing is pretty bad, it pot commits you and doesnt allow you to auto bet the flop without getting committed

so call or push. id probably just call if your bankroll isnt large. if you can afford bankroll wise to push every edge then think about pushing. you'd like to know something about this guy or how bad the table is before pushing though.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would reraise preflop as you did and the push on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate the raising preflop and pushing on the flop line. preflop, you can get anything from JJ to AQ to call you. if they miss the flop, your push does nothing, you have them beat anyways. but if tehy have QQ, JJ ect, your losing your whole stack. so your giving them a chance to get away on the flop cheaply if they dont hit, while you are committing your whole stack no matter what. thats very very good for him and very bad for you . pushing is a much better option than a stop and go with AK