Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Overplayed?

After a tumultuous few weeks at the Commerce without net access, it's nice to be back in staid old St. Louis and online again. I'm looking forward to a good week or two of doing little to nothing after my 2 months on the road of playing 60-80 hour weeks. For the curious, I ended up about -4K for my efforts (after accounting for the 5K of trip expenses and 15K of tournament entries), which I suppose I should be happy with as it includes -15K, -19K, and -14K losing streaks. I did mention tumultuos, right [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]?

Anyway, here's a 80-160 hand I played at the Commerce last week. A mediocre player limps in EP, I raise in MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], a bad player on the button calls, a regular player I suspect is very solid (I happen to know he plays 80 for a living, but have played little with him) calls in the BB, EP calls, 4 to the flop.

4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]: Checked to me, I bet, button folds, BB raises, EP folds, I call.

K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]: BB bets, I raise despite a nagging feeling that I should just call, but feel better when BB only calls.

8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]: BB checks, I bet, BB raises. What do you think?
Old 06-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Overplayed?

El Diablo thinks you should have stayed a few more days at Commerce, punk.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:07 PM

I think you got smoked by his rivered set of eights.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 PM

Higher than I play, but here's my 2c...

He's good, right? So what was he raising the flop with that you could have beat on the turn? Maybe overcards with a backdoor draw, but is that possibility worth a turn raise on a board like that?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:13 PM

Heh, I had already stayed 3 weeks too long as it turns out, and I was pretty much pokered out. But I would have stayed a few more days had I known it was going to be 2+2 party weekend at the Commerce [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 06-22-2004, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what was he raising the flop with that you could have beat on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any pair?

That begs the question of what the best turn/river line is, but there's a ton of stuff that checkraises the flop that AK can beat on the turn.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zele (sheepishly): Touche.

Can't find my brain this evening.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:44 PM

The only reason for calling the turn is to keep him in, which would be my play. The problem with it he's going to check the river to you then, meaning he only has to call your raise and river bet 33% of the time for that play to be right.

On the river he's not bluffing. I think you have to fold. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2004, 10:35 PM

Hi Coilean,

I would have played it just as you did. On the flop it looks a lot like a small or medium pocket pair. It seems like he is trying to limit the field here, so I'm doubting he is on a flush draw or that he flopped a monster. On the turn, I still think he's leading out with any pair, although I'm a bit surprised he didnt lay down when you raised. However, since there are so many moves in this game, he might put you on something AQ with the ace of spades and just plan on calling you down.

The river check raise looks nasty. I think it's 88, but no chance I'm laying down the pot is just too big. I would make him turn it over. By the way, it was great meeting you and to have a chance to bounce some ideas around. Good luck with everything.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:22 PM

I think you lost to his straight, 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but the soots may be wrong....

I would have called the turn, and called the river, and bet if checked to on river.