Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 04:11 PM

Default No Fold Em

I'm new to the game, so I'm playing micro limits games.
I'm often in games where people play pure unadulterated garbage under the gun and flop the nuts with it. Also I get beat in showdowns by folks who clearly went way way to far with their hands.
My question is how far up in the limits do you have to go before you start to get away from this kind of lunacy?
Or do you ever?
/M
Old 06-22-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: No Fold Em

My question is how far up in the limits do you have to go before you start to get away from this kind of lunacy?

The only change is that at 30/60 you may have one or two people doing it. At micro you have nine.

-AA
Old 06-22-2004, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or do you ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

God i hope not!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:57 PM

You don't want this to ever stop. Do you realize that you are complaining about people playing garbage?! If you understand poker and how you play only certain hands in certain situations because they are +EV plays, then you should love this.

Just think of all the times that you get called down to the river by three others and your hand is good, afterwards you think to yourself "what on Earth did all of them have that made them call me down??" The answer is well, they had garbage, maybe bottom pair, and paid you off.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Wow, thanks!
I got a lot from that answer!.
Good things come in small packages.
Thanks again.
/M
Old 06-22-2004, 05:04 PM

You guys are making this a banner day in my education!
Thanks,
/M
Old 06-23-2004, 11:47 AM

You've got a great attitude, keep it up.

Some things you can do in looser games is play more suited hands like Ax suited and Kx suited. These hands will win big when you hit the flushes.

It can be frustrating when you play your big cards like AK or AQ and you flop top pair top kicker only to be beaten by a raggedy two pair, but beleive me most of the time you get called all the way down with a hand that had top pair no kicker.

Even last night I was playing a $2/4 table, I held AA and raised preflop, the flop had an ace in it and I was raised on the flop! Well I played it strong and my opponent called me down to see my trip aces. I was kinda surprised and couldn't figure out what he could have had so I checked the hand history and saw he held A9offsuit. He was way behind and he played it strong and all the way to the end. If I was in his position I would have folded preflop and the player with AA wouldn't have gotten my extra money, but because he played his garbage all the way thru I made a lot of extra bets.

Once you get used to seeing some of the bad beats it will be easier to take. The main thing is to remember that these players will probably end up giving all their money away, so as long as you don't let it affect your play by tilting, you will be fine.

-nam
Old 06-23-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Thanks, great thread!

That's what I love about this forum, it's great that people here discuss this at a level that's far beyond, "Limit sucks, I got another bad beat, No way I'm playing with those imbiciles again!" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's interesting to hear that there are still one or two loose or maniacal types even at the higher limits. Last night i was playing .05-.10 at Paradise in a game that ended up being surprisingly tight -- it was something like 80% seeing the flop when I sat down, and after I'd been there an hour the lobby showed it in the 30's or 40's. Someone made an interesting comment, that this particular microlimit game was tougher than the $1-$2 games on the same site!

I thought that was bizarre at first but when I thought about it it made a bit more sense. The true microlimits are likely populated by folks like me who want to learn poker without losing a fortune doing so, and realize that they won't get much education from play money games. The dollar games, I'm guessing, have more of the same mentality of the 2-4 games at Foxwoods (my only B&M experience), people who are there to gamble, and don't mind playing losing poker as long as they're having fun.

Vive la difference!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Thanks, great thread!

Man, you took the words right outta my mouth!! I was just wondering today how many people are trying to build a BR from nickels and dimes like me. I know it will take a while before I can move up, but I feel like I owe it to myself to learn this game 'the hard way'. I just can't believe ANYBODY would play online and not lurk here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Thanks, great thread!

[ QUOTE ]
The true microlimits are likely populated by folks like me who want to learn poker without losing a fortune doing so, and realize that they won't get much education from play money games. The dollar games, I'm guessing, have more of the same mentality of the 2-4 games at Foxwoods (my only B&M experience), people who are there to gamble, and don't mind playing losing poker as long as they're having fun.

Vive la difference!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's pretty true. I found a lot of the $0.05/$0.10, $0.25/$0.50 and $0.50/$1.00 tables on Stars to be rock gardens--probably because people are educating themselves there. And the first thing you learn about hold 'em is how to fold 'em.

For a soft micro game, try $0.01/$0.02 NL on Stars. You don't see a lot of good players there. And because the size of the stack you can bring ($5) is so large in relation to the big blind (250x), this is an easy game for even still-learning players to beat.