Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 04:01 AM

Default The smooth call bluff.....what do you think?

i hadn't been here to long but i had established a pretty solid table image. i had stacked up against the big stack at the table a few orbits earlier, and i had seen him make some pretty suspect plays.
i decided to try the smooth call semi-bluff to see what he did on the turn. if he checked the turn or bet small i was prepared to try and take the pot from him. do any of you use this play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($40)
MP ($98)
CO ($217.14)
Hero ($201.20)
SB ($72.31)
BB ($724.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, MP folds, CO calls $2, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB folds, BB calls $8, UTG folds, CO folds.

Flop: ($25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($55) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $100
<font color="green">Main Pot: $55, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $45, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins $100. </font>
Old 06-22-2004, 06:23 AM

Default Re: The smooth call bluff.....what do you think?

Lets suppose he has QQ or AJo or even JTs (all quite possible)

In that case you weren't really bluffing with your $45 bet and his fold was easy.

Now lets suppose he has QQ and the turn card is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Assuming you would have made the same move, then it gets interesting!

But what if its 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you're in a pickle then aren't you?

I guess what I'm saying is if you think its likely he has a J making the flop call was a bad idea. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:06 AM

I think the 'call bluff' works better when the board has little in the way of drawing options.

In this example there are straight and flush draws possible, so your call does not necessarily indicate strength.

A 'call bluff' is more likely to work when you call on a board like A84 rainbow. If you call a bet here, surely the better puts you on a made hand, and will act accordingly.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:32 AM

I think you got lucky to win the hand. As previously mentioned, the smooth call on the flop did not indicate strength as you might have been drawing to a straight or a flush. Equally important, BB could have made the $15 with a straight flush draw (Ts Qs), a straight draw (QT) a flush draw (any two spades). Now, when the "scare card" fell and you bet into it I am assuming you knew the BB was not the type who would check raise.

I think just as easily the BB could have bet $25 on the turn with his straight flush draw (or representing it) and then you would have folded. Or he could have check raised you there if he thought you were calling with an over pair or AK.

You raised 5x bb pre-flop, probably indicating anything from TT - AA, AKs, AQs etc. Therefore he could easily have represented a straight flush draw on the turn, bet big and folded you out.

Comments?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:27 PM

like is said in my orginal post it was a smooth call semi-bluff and i said that i wanted to see what he did on the turn and if he showed weakness i would try and take the pot away. obviously if he makes a big bet on the turn lets say the pot then i fold and lose my 15.
however after raising preflop i didn't feel like giving up my hand and my position for an undersized bet on the flop. just thought i'd try and 'play' a little and see what happens.
i have found that my style of play is not always by the book as often times i will try and feel the other player out in spots that many posters on this forum will simply give up there hand.
please don't blast me here i am not criticizing anyone's play...i am sure that my style has a higher variance...it's just that the reason i play no limit is due to the psychological and big bet nature of the game and my style has worked quite well for me.
that being said i normally wait until i have a nice size stack relative to the table as well as an established table image before i start trying to get cute.
anyways just my thoughts and styles not trying to impose them on anyone but i thought since my play is usally so different from what i normally see on this forum i'd start posting more hands so we could see what conversation springs from them.