Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 10:06 PM

Default Foxwoods

So I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but can someone give me a basic rundown of what my options are at Foxwoods on a typical weeknight, and then a Friday game? I'm basically interested in the following 3 things:

1) Small-Mid No Limit ($1/2 blinds up to $5/5)
2) Medium Limit ($6-$12 to 20/40 or wherever soft stops)
3) Tournaments (I'm aware of the Tuesday $150ish NL tourney)

If anyone can tell me how long I can expect to wait, how soft the lineup might be, and any other tips (such as how early to arrive for the tourney), I'd appreciate it. Also, if any 2+2ers want to meet up, its my first trip to the Northeast.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods

I cant tell you about week days but the 5/10 game with a kill can be really wild. It seems to play at a kill about half the time.
There are more than a few fish as well as sharks.
I like the game during the day when the older crowd is playing loose passive - they will call the flop and fold to bets on the turn - not too aggressive - at night things get more aggressive - I am sure others who play more frequently can give you a better assesment - lower limits seem a little tougher than AC -
I hate foxwoods - the most obnoxious and rude group of players I have found.
Awful dealer abuse and abuse by young rounders wanabees.
Floor seems to have no control.
It was so bad last time that I am not going back - I am in NYC so AC is an option.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:24 PM

5-10 with the kill is my favorite game at Foxwoods. You definately are going to see a mix of good and bad at the table. There is definately money to be made in that game.

The lowest limit they deal is 2-4, you can find that any night as well.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:50 AM

I play at foxwoods pretty often. They do a 5/5 no limit game that doesnt have a max buy in. $200 min. but you have to watch out for bullies who sit down with a lot more, especially nights and weekends. Most of the time, 200-500 is a safe bankroll for that game. They started a smaller no limit game, i think it's $100 max. The limit games run from 2/4 to big bucks so 6/12 games should be easy to find,but sometimes there is a wait, hour or so. They do daily tourneys, you can get the schedule on foxwoods.com. Definitely show up a couple hours early to register.

As far as rude play, i havent found it any worse than A.C. You meet your share of them anywhere.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:47 AM

1) 2 regular No limit games. 5/5 blind 200 min. buy-in as well as a $100 max. buy-in. The latter of the two seems like a sucker bet, as they charge you $10 an hour to play. If it's busy they'll open more no limit tables.

2) 5/10 hold 'em and O8 with a kill. The quality of play varies with hold 'em, but even the "tough" games are softer than what you'd expect to find online. 08 is a bunch of regulars who play tight on weekdays, but lookout on the weekends because the games can get unbelievably crazy. I don't have as much experience with 10/20 HE, but from my limited experience it is slightly tougher than 5/10 kill, but still very beatable.

3) Call 1 800 48 POKER for details

The room is huge with tons of games going even late at night. The management has a lot of trouble handling the volume, so as a result poorly trained dealers get thrown into the fire. Some dealers are very professional, but many others will make a lot of mistakes... some are even rude (twice I've had dealers berate the fish for playing bad cards!)... And bring some warm clothes, the AC is set to about 45 degrees.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 AM

If you want to play NL, I'd stay away from the $100 max buy-in game ($1/$2 blinds) as the $10/hour it'll cost you to sit there really makes it tough to stay ahead. Its pretty fishy and the pots get pretty big ($10 opening raises seem pretty standard) but its easy to see your $100 buy-in get whittled away by the hourly fee. The $200 min game is a little tougher to beat (though not too bad) but, as has been mentioned, people will sit down with huge amounts of cash and try to push everyone else around-- great if you get some cards, but tough if you can't hit a flop.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:28 AM

Fridays rock, any game, any limit.

Weekdays are hit and miss depending on if there was a tournament or sometimes it just random or weather dependant.

They regularly spread a 1/2-$40-$100 buy-in, 5/5 $200+ buy-in NL, the 1/2 is $5 a half hour, the 5/5 is $6 a half hour. I've only played the 5/5 and it was soft but I only play that on the weekend.

Mid-Limit - 5/10 w/kill @100 is always soft, 10/20 is routinely soft but the 20/40 can be tough on the weekdays as that is the highest everyday game and gets the best players in it during the week.

The Tuesday night tournament is crazy but will pay out $20k to the winner every week.

PM me on the dates you'll be down, I am there often and may be when you are.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 AM

The 100 max NL is VERY fishy on the weekends. The standard opening raise is anywhere from 10-25 and will generally get called in 3-5 places. You can pay the time out of your pocket and keep your stack healthy.

Also, you can buy in for 40 dollars, play one hand and rebuy for 100. This should allow you to sit back and wait for a good hand to punish the incredibly loose play on these tables.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:32 AM

I second what Joe said here. The 5/5 can be soft but there are always a few players to avoid and you should be able to recognize them relatively quickly. Although it is a 200 dollar min. you probably should sit down with at least 600.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:36 AM

Limit Hold'em:
2-4: always running 24/7
4-8: always running 24/7 occasionally down to one table at 0400
5-10 with $100 Kill: usually running often 2 tables
5-10 with $75 Kill: usually started as the 2nd 5-10 game
5-10 without Kill: NONE
6-12: NONE
10-20: usually running with up to 3-4 tables by 6pm
20-40: usually up by mid-afternoon and often in the morning
50-100 and higher: started with sufficient players

Omaha-8 (only high-low played at Foxwoods):
5-10: this is the main game, usually up by noon
2-4: Foxwoods has been trying to get this going, breaks often

7 Card Stud (only rarely see a high-low split played):
1-3 with no ante: always going
1-5: always going
5-10 and higher I think you have lots of options, but I don't play stud so I'm unsure how to advise.

No Limit Hold'Em:
1-2 blinds, $40 min/$100 max buy-in: This is now the most frequently started NL game, often with the bigger game players waiting in it for theirs to start
5-5 blinds, $200 min buy-in: Usually started by noon or 3pm at the latest
(higher NL games posted with demand, usually around WPF tournaments etc.)

Miscellaneous Ring Games:
HOE and HO (Hold'em/Omaha-8/Eight-or-Better Stud) only occasionally run, again when sufficient demand occurs.