Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Question about tournament chat

I normally play with all chat off, as I find most of it annoying and/or inane. I'm a little older than most, so "nh", "ty", and "ru kddng me" do not strike me as communicating. This does not mean I wouldn't be happy to say hi to 2+2ers during breaks, and I often turn observer chat on for a bit at that time.

In reviewing my hand histories for last night's tourney I was able to see some of the chat I avoided, and this re-inforced my beliefs. Why do railbirds believe anyone on earth is interested in what they think about a hand?

I did read one comment that I shouldn't be playing with my chat off when the tourney was heads-up. My thoughts are this: I had no intention of making a deal, the thrill of winning is, for me, worth finishing 2nd sometimes, though to this stage I've been very fortunate in my heads-up results. So what purpose would having my chat on serve? I'm certainly not going to be doing any typing while playing h/u for a tourney win.

Do any of you think I should be playing with chat on? And why?

Doug

Note: I made a (for me) not too long post with some hands from last night's Rumble at the Rebuy, but it got lost when I hit continue to review. It wasn't all that interesting anyway, a few suckouts by me were the notable highlights.
If anyone has any questions or comments if they happened to see any of it, feel free to PM me or post, and I'll answer as well as memory allows.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Question about tournament chat

I've started to turn mine off too. Too much of it is juvenile and the rest is someone calling names because they got beat. I'm tired of the chat anymore.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:38 PM

I find it entertaining. That's all.

Nick
Old 06-21-2004, 06:45 PM

I have turned off the observer chat, but left the player chat on. I like this compromise, although then I might miss eMark giving me the needle.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:49 PM

Nothing wrong with turning your chat off, those railbirds do get very annoying. Anytime it gets late in a tournament for example down to 2 or 3 tables I’ll turn it off, otherwise it’s on most of the time because I’d miss some of you guys stopping by to say hello.

I do think your making a mistake when it gets down to heads up or 3 handed play, I think turning player chat on is a good idea here, perhaps they're offering you a deal that's very favorable to your position, and if you don't want a deal you can just tell them you'd like to play on, that way you don't come off as a dick, unless that's your intention [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 06-21-2004, 07:57 PM

I would leave it open at least for players....it sucks to have people asking for 5 min. for a deal and someone ignoring them.

RB
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 PM

How do you make deals at PArty? I know u call a floorperson at Stars.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you make deals at PArty? I know u call a floorperson at Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Officially you can't. You can if you feel willing to trust the other player I guess, I've never seen one though.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:58 PM

If you don't feel like it, then I see no reason why you SHOULD have to...but my question would be this: Why not jsut leave it on and ignore it if you wish to? That way you can see the important stuff, be friendly, and just ignore the mindless banter of the morons.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:53 AM

You can't make deals at Party, I was referring to Stars.