Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 11:46 AM

Default My 15 hand foray into NL (two hands for comment)

I'm a 2/4 & 3/6 limit player at Party and was getting a bit bored with it last night. Took a crack at NL $50 games and want to post two hands where I got creamed. Played 15 hands of NL, lost my buy in at two tables in amazing time. Both hands I got my money all-in with the best hand, or what I thought was the best hand. I must admit, I was losing my shirt at limit that night, and re-reading these hands, I wonder if I should have been in bed, rather than at the computer.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

MP1 ($211.65)
MP2 ($53.60)
MP3 ($41)
CO ($111.55)
Button ($48)
SB ($99.28)
BB ($45)
Hero ($48.50)
UTG+1 ($66.75)
UTG+2 ($96.46)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls $1, UTG+1 raises to $4, <font color="666666">8 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($10.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $5, Hero raises to $10, UTG+1 calls $5.

Turn: ($30.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $10, UTG+1 raises to $20, Hero calls $10.

River: ($70.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $15, Hero calls $14.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $100
<font color="green">Main Pot: $99.50, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 ($99.50).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $0.50, returned to UTG+1.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jc Kd (one pair, kings).
UTG+1 shows Ah Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $100. </font>

Second Hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed)

MP1 ($95.10)
MP2 ($186.82)
MP3 ($54.65)
CO ($42.30)
Button ($98.75)
Hero ($28.25)
BB ($69.25)
UTG ($49)
UTG+1 ($103.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: ($5) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $8</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $27.25 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $19.25.

Turn: ($59.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($59.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $59.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $59.50, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 ($59.50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 4h Qs (two pair, queens and fours).
UTG+1 shows Ac As (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $59.50. </font>
Old 06-20-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: My 15 hand foray into NL (two hands for comment)

Hand #1 - Don't call a PFR with KJo. You could be dominated by any number of hands - KQ, AK, AJ, KK, or as it were, AA. I have a tough time playing this hand at all unless a really good situation presents itself.

Hand #2 - Don't bother completing with Q4. I could see doing it maybe if it's suited in the SB, but never otherwise. Once you're in there on the flop, I might have made the same play. Unfortunate outdraw.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Hand 1- I agree. You shouldn't be playing KJo from UTG. In limit, you might be able to get away with this, but in NL, this will just get you into trouble (especially calling that raise...)

Hand 2- You just got screwed. I would have played this exactly as you did. I think completing is not a bad idea, because you're getting 9-1 from the pot ($4.50 to $.50), and those are pretty good odds to flop something like a shitty two-pair or trips. You just got a bit unlucky. Sorry man.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:05 PM

hand #1: fold! do you play KJo UTG in limit? I never do. in NL, it's a terrible hand. the only place you like it is limping on the button. you certainly do not want to play a pot out of position with this trash.

hand #2: you got the money in with the best of it. that's all you can do.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-20-2004, 02:16 PM

on hand #1, I reread the action. I'm going to say it was misplayed on every street [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], not just preflop.

preflop: you should fold to the raise. you are out of position, and calling the $3 raise makes it a $8 pot. even if the river gets checked, it is still probably going to cost you 8 + 24 = 32 more dollars to see a showdown.

flop: you check and your opponent bets small. you then check raise him the minimum? if he calls, there is going to be 28 in the pot. this almost guarantees you are going to have to either fold or back this hand with the rest of your stack. you have one pair, with a bad kicker. if you are going to check raise him on the flop, at least put him to some kind of decision and make a real raise so you can get it in on the turn.

turn: you bet small, he raises you probably because he puts you on AK and wants to milk you. in a pot that is now 48, it's hard for you to get away from your hand for 10 more dollars, but you are almost always screwed here.

river: now, a scare card hits and you don't push? granted, he's not folding, but at least give him a chance to try.