Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Future of poker

I got to thinking today. Where will poker be in 20 years, and if anyone has an opinion, why? I cant for the life of me work it out. The main things i am wondering are: will internet poker take over, and live poker die? Will internet poker die, and live poker stay about the same? Will cash games finish and tournaments completely take over? Will the whole thing die? Here are some ideas:
Internet poker will die: Very soon (next 5-6 years) I believe computer programs will be killing poker, and online poker will cease to exist because it will become overrun with bots.
Live poker will die: internet poker will not die, and people will start to realise it aint worth going to the card room to play with higher rake, tokes and the bs involved with some players.
What does everyone think?? Will live poker still be around in 20 years?
Leonardo
Old 06-19-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Future of poker

I think there will always be something to live games. People love to socialize around games. The idea of bots is disturbing. I'm new to the game and wonder if you think people are already using software to play online.
/M
Old 06-20-2004, 01:03 AM

Yeah, and I think it's important not to trivialize the social factor of the game for serious player.

I learned online, but lately have been making trips up to AC (Borgata) for kicks and giggles and to get better at face-to-face play (monied in my first NL tournament, despite a whopping AA vs JJ all-in preflop bad beat, but that's another whine).

So anyway, even after tolls, hotel, and whatnot, I found the BB/hr much better than online and offsetting the expenses because it was easier to keep fish playing.

I (hope) I have finally started to shape up a solid limit game, so really if I'm against similar solid players I expect to break even over the long horizon. So... it's not about me being good, it's about having other people prone to mistakes. If I'm there in person I can relax and focus on keeping them entertained and playing for fun. And heck, if I'm going to grind, it's nice to have the banter for my own amusement.

But I'm still a newbie. (I look back on my stats and see that I recently was the sort of player that now I love to come across ;-) ).
Old 06-20-2004, 02:38 AM

The game of Poker will be obsolete in 20 years. It will be overwhelmed by the popularity of Kazaam, a game of skill and chance combining elements of Chakrama, Zenphipia, Mojomerific and Online Baseball. Kazaam, to be invented in the year 2012, will become so popular that Gross World Production will fall by 95% as the vast majority of the planet's population becomes compulsively addicted to the game.

PairTheBoard
Old 06-20-2004, 11:08 AM

if anyone has an opinion, why?

I have lots of opinions. Why? I like to argue. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2004, 10:53 AM

I think I'm different than most people in that I started out in live games, and then moved to online. I find that I'm not doing as well online. I think this is due to the fact that I cannot read people online as well as I can in live play. So, I hope live play does not die [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Does anyone else agree that online play is harder, or is that just me?

Anyway that's why I think live poker will not die, b/c its easier to read people.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:41 PM

Mojomerific is AMAZING -- I had sixteen Nuc+ 65 yesterday against my buddy's fourteen Hux-76A.

MOJO-mazing!

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
"Barron-a-rific"
Old 06-21-2004, 04:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I find that I'm not doing as well online. I think this is due to the fact that I cannot read people online as well as I can in live play.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear this a lot and i usually dismiss it as BS. online hands are dealt faster and sometimes people play multiple tables, so the long run comes a lot sooner than in live play. because of this i think some people that think they are winners in live poker discover that they aren't winners at all and they try to blame it on online poker. i'm not saying that's what's going on with you, but maybe.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Hi, just my view. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I think online is harder at the same level. My 2-4 games often are harder than when in LV 5-10 or Calif. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Less reads, better players, quicker game. In a 2-4 online I can win or lose $100, 1-2 hours and I am a fair player. At the table Ususally half a day or more to change + or - $100. but as I say, just my view. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM

For whatever it's worth I think it will find a balance between online and brick and morter establishments. I think that tournaments will continue to promote the "Rock Stars" of poker, but by and large the majority of players will continue to explore and grind away at the cash games.

On the topic of software/bots killing online poker. Well, while I suspect that there is some risk there I'm not sure there's a clear cut solution. I do feel that these cheats, of the worst kind, represent the greatest risk to online poker rooms that there is. If the games can't be trusted to be fair, people will quit playing them and when there is no more money to be made, the online rooms will go away.