Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Party $15-$30.. How bad is this?

Here's a hand that was asked to be posted. Prior to this hand a player asked if I'm the same namesake on 2+2 and I replied, "Maybe."

The game is 7 handed. UTG just posted (HA!) and checked his option. The questioneer, next to act, raised and was cold called immediately by the next player. The CO folded and I, on the button, have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Do you call, fold or raise? I ended up calling. I'm 50-50 on reraising.

The blinds called then UTG sprung to life with a reraise. Questioneer capped and the next player called.

I thought. . . . . and thought . . . and folded.

~stephen
Old 06-18-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Party $15-$30.. How bad is this?

I think we already had this thread. The correct action when an unknown raises in EP and another unknown cold-calls is to muck your AQo.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:12 PM

A presumed 2+2er raises UTG2 and unknown UTG3 cold-calls and it's on you with AQo. I am underwhelmed with the prospect of 3-betting but I am even less "whelmed" with calling. I think this is a situation where folding is your best alternative, 3-betting is next best, and calling is worst. After you call and it's two bets back to you, I think the fold is still the best option.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:14 PM

I'm not a $15-$30 player, but I don't call with AQo for 2 bets with an UTG raiser.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:17 PM

At least you did the right thing by folding when it was capped back to you, but you should have folded initially anyways.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:33 PM

Im not sure I agree here. The fact that there is an extra blind out there makes the case for three betting a little stronger. Unless the twoplustwoer is very tight, I might three bet here. But I really dont think a coldcall is that horrible only because with three blinds left to act you'll probably have 3 or four to the flop.

Once it's two more back to you, I'm still gonna call, but only because of the way you described the action. On Party, if a guy posts UTG, he's probably a total moron. So why should you give him credit for a real hand after he checks his option, and then three bets it when it's back to him? And what did you expect the twoplustwoer to do? I would cap everytime in that spot, hoping to get you out, thinking UTG probabaly had a random hand. I would not fold my hand for two more bets in that situation.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:39 PM

Default I agree with you, Steve . . .

But sometimes I think you and I are the only long-term PP winners on the site.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure I agree here. The fact that there is an extra blind out there makes the case for three betting a little stronger. Unless the twoplustwoer is very tight, I might three bet here. But I really dont think a coldcall is that horrible only because with three blinds left to act you'll probably have 3 or four to the flop.

Once it's two more back to you, I'm still gonna call, but only because of the way you described the action. On Party, if a guy posts UTG, he's probably a total moron. So why should you give him credit for a real hand after he checks his option, and then three bets it when it's back to him? And what did you expect the twoplustwoer to do? I would cap everytime in that spot, hoping to get you out, thinking UTG probabaly had a random hand. I would not fold my hand for two more bets in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you, and agree with everyone else.

Fold. Be done with it. AQo to a near UTG raise is an easy muck. I don't care if you *think* he's isolating utg. He *may* be, but I really doubt he's doing it that lightly. If he was say late position 3 betting would be correct, but there are so many players left to act...
Old 06-18-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Re: I agree with you, Steve . . .

[ QUOTE ]
But sometimes I think you and I are the only long-term PP winners on the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't ever offered any insight into a hand that was your own without getting completely blasted by the best minds on this forum. I find your audacity astounding.
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: I agree with you, Steve . . .

James, take a deep breath, you'll be ok. Bad day at work?