Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Dealing with multiple trappers at larger online NLHE cash games

One issue I run into constantly online in NL HE cash games is that 2 or 3 players at a 10 person table are trap happy, meaning that they will virtually never, ever raise. The most extreme case raises only with AA in the last position in raised pots with 3 or more players. Since there are frequently multiple people using this strategy it becomes very difficult to be aggressive when multiple people have already called because it is virtually impossible to put the trappers on a hand and the costs of hitting top pair or having your own wired overpair being an underpair to a larger pair becomes an overpair is quite high when they turn over AA or KK. On person doing this is manageable, but 1/3 of the table is proving to be a difficulty.

Does anyone have anything constructive to suggest on strategies for coping with this? Obviously playing tighter & aggressive but being able to lay down big hands against the trappers will work when they are isolated but frequently they will call almost any raise that involves another caller with drawing hands and most are aggressive enough post flop to make substantial bluffs at the pot which makes things difficult when the money is deep and I'm reluctant to go to the wall since I have so little information on them.

Thanks for any feedback,
KillerWombat
Old 06-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Dealing with multiple trappers at larger online NLHE cash games

You could use their own tactics against them.

If they like to trap then, they might be reluctant to get the money in pre-flop. You can push them around a bit and make a buck or two.

But to win the huge pots you’re going to make a hand that you’re confident enough is the best hand. Try making an Ace high flush to their K high flush. Or making trips on the turn after the 'trapper' flops two pair and checks it through.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try making an Ace high flush to their K high flush. Or making trips on the turn after the 'trapper' flops two pair and checks it through.

[/ QUOTE ] WTF? yea, real easy
Old 06-19-2004, 03:04 PM

Patience.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:38 PM

I think of "trappers" as people who slow play untill you bet into them and then come over the top. That's trapping. Calling stations aren't trapping, they're weak-tight. You should be gutting them with made hands on the turn and river.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:09 PM

I would limp more with drawing hands Axs, big suited connectors and such. I've noticed that people who always play passively with hands that most people raise with (big pairs in the hole and such) will be happy to go to the felt with their overpairs even when the board and the betting indicates that they are beaten. Limping with some of these marginal hands has double value because you don't fear a raise as much from a trap happy table.

I've also noticed that they will draw to second best hands (straights on a flush-draw board) and flushes on a paired board. And as with the case of overpairs, they will likely go to the felt with these second best hands.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:26 AM

I think playing hands that draw to big hands (nut-flush, high straights) is key, as others have mentioned. You want to exploit their passiveness by playing a lot of drawing hands and then betting aggressively when you hit. These guys tend to pay you off with an overpair even on very scary boards (say when you hit your flush etc.). Therefore, play a lot of drawing hands, even some moderate suited connectors like 89s or 78s, and then try to get as much money in there as possible when you hit. Exploit their passive preflop nature by limping with a lot of hands that it might not be correct to limp with in a more aggressive game.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:21 AM

I have experienced the same situation and feel very frustrated. This is one of the undeniable flaws of on-line betting despite many positives: tells are limited and reads on people are impossible in the short-term.

I appreciate the suggestions
Old 06-19-2004, 03:49 AM

I think position is very important against players that you cant put on a hand. A good trapper is an expert on using your bets to his advantage. I like to have trappers - or tricky players - on my right, that is, normally acting before me.

I mostly play limit but against trappers - people who loves to slowplay - its often very good to bet flop in late position to get a free card and get information. They will almost always hope you will bet turn again, and if you dont hit your draw or if you are pretty sure they wouldnt have called that flopbet without a hand beating you, you will get to river for free.

Against slowplayers you can call with a lot of drawing hands in late position. This is true for limit, and even more true, as I understand it, for pot- and no-limit.