Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 04:47 PM

Default OM8: do you call with these hands?

Just curious, in OM8 games, how do many of you play these two hands on the button or cutoff positions? A suited ace; a long shot low; and two big cards:

(As, 4s), Kc, Jd ---or--- (As,5s), Kc, Jd

Personally – in low stakes Limit & Pot Limit OM8 games at Partypoker online, I usually call in very late position if there are no raises. But I feel that I do it out of boredom or curiosity. I feel that I probably lose a little in the long run.

In very soft games at B&M clubs I think that these hands are OK and playable for the long run under the right conditions. But at this time due to the nature of play at PartyPoker -- I think these hands are break even at the best. Of course I like these hands better in OM8PL.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: OM8: do you call with these hands?

Hi Carl - I generally play them in late position - and probably from the small blind for a half bet as well.

I agree with you they're not particularly profitable. But playing them does cut down on the boredom - and sometimes they work out well - especially the suited ace-four with two honor cards including a king.

I think they're both very strong for one-on-one "steal" plays agaisnt random blinds, if that's the kind of game it is. And I like them both for blind defense in that kind of game (a tight/aggressive game or situation). In these games I generally play them aggressively.

However, I prefer many limping opponents to play them, a loose/passive kind of game. In these types of games I'm often struggling to find marginal hands to play just to not stand out as much as a tight player. In these games I generally limp to see the flop as cheaply as possible. If i like the flop, I probably become aggressive and otherwise I quietly fold, happy to have had a momentary diversion.

Buzz

Buzz
Old 06-18-2004, 05:51 AM

I'd fold at a full table but raise shorthanded, I think.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:00 AM

i usually dump both, although i might play the first one in a loose pot-limit game.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:25 AM

In a loose game with a few callers already in I would probably call with both but I (of course) like the A4 better.

If there are no callers I would raise to try and steal the blinds. I would also raise a single caller that is not a rock to try and get it heads up.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:22 AM

I would muck these hands. If the KJ were suited, I would thik more about playing this hand.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:13 PM

Carl,

Do you have the discipline to fold these if the flop doesn't hit them hard. e.g. if the flop is K72r, will you fold to a bet? If yes, then go ahead and play them If no, then don't.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:50 PM

This will echo what almost everyone else has already said, but I'd play the 1st (A4) hand without much hesitation, and I'd probably play the 2nd (A5) as well if the game was passive. I'm looking to see the flop cheap and maybe pick up a high str8 and/or flush draw, where I might have a chance to scoop. The weak low is a drawback against many players, but it does provide some additional value, especially in a shorthanded situation.