Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Home Tourney...Down to 3 Ppl

3 ppl Left down from 16. $50 buy in.
1st gets $650
2nd gets $100
3rd gets $50

I had never played with any of these ppl before, a friend of mine found the game for me.....The play was very passive throughout.
I have about T3500 in the BB
SB has about T4000
Button has rest...about T8500

Hand in question:

I look at 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Button folds, SB calls, I check...mistake? The table has been very passive....I've been stealing all night, didn't think my image at this point was tight....

Flop comes...

4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets out 1K, his standard Flop bet.

I raise 1K.....mistake? is this a clear Fold or All-In?

He thinks for a good minute and calls....Turn is a J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], he checks.....

I push....this puts both of us basically all in if he calls....Mistake?

Results to follow.....

Where could I have played this more effectively/efficently?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Home Tourney...Down to 3 Ppl

Hmmm.

What were the blinds, or more precisely...how big was his flop bet relative to the pot? I'll assume he made a pot-sized bet of t-1000.

You have a pair, other than top pair...holding a weak kicker. You are against a board 2 flush and a board 3 straight. You'll have to catch your straight runner-runner, and you don't have any chance of making the flush. Why call the flop bet?

I either fold to the pot-sized bet on the flop, or I push. I can't really see any value in flat calling in your situation.

--Casey
Old 06-17-2004, 11:44 AM

You didn't provide the blinds so I'll assume they are somewhat significant to the size of your stack. With suited two gap, I might raise this preflop if I think I can get him to lay it down.

Your raise on the flop says what? You didn't bet preflop where you've been stealing all night, so your opponent isn't putting you on top pair/top kicker, you would have raised that preflop.

What is he betting out 1/4 of his stack with here? Flush draw? Straight draw? Two pair?

What will he lay down here with that many chips in the pot and his stack so small?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM

Blinds are 200/400

My raise on the flop was an attempt to show strength by not just pushing in...which I had been doing a lot in the last 30 mins.....
Old 06-17-2004, 02:01 PM

well, first you say he bet out 1k his standard flop bet. What was his Standard action after that bet? If he was raised did he fold, call or reraise. If He was betting very passive didn't raise preflop, bet 1k on the flop and called your 1k raise. I would think that he has me beat or He is the favorite in the hand to win. by what you have described I would think him to have 9TS , or at least top pair. but either way with the call of the raise, and a passive player I would have checked it down, or called to another bet(because you where pretty well allin anyways). With his call of the Raise he was committed to the river he put $2600 of his $4000 in the pot and would not be knocked out if he lost, to call another $900. He has to call automatic with anything. Which with that raise you also committed yourself to that pot, I think that you could have found a better place to do that.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:16 PM

Yeah...after the hand played out I really hated the fact that I picked that spot to challenge....

He called my all-in and flipped over K8......River was a brink and I was out in 3rd...