Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 AM

Default could I get away from TPTK here?

My notes on the CO said "likes the coldcall [meaning pre-flop]" and "loose, passive?"

When I got raised on the flop I feared a big hand, as I thought the odds were very low this was a bluff raise. But I figured KT, QT, and maybe even JT were real possibilities, in which case I'd be way ahead.

I thought about just calling the raise and then seeing what turn card hit, but there weren't very many at all that I wanted to see, which I for some reason took as a good reason to reraise on the flop. Should I have folded to the push? I figured I only needed to win something like 25% of the time to make a call break-even (given the betting to that point), so I called.

I caught a lucky win here, but I wasn't very happy with the hand. Thoughts/comments on all streets are appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 TEHero***** (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($18.25)
BB ($41.90)
UTG ($21.10)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($175.57)</font>
<font color="C00000">CO ($78.42)</font>
Button ($34.83)

Preflop: Hero TEHero%%%%%A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>,

Flop: ($9.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $16</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $74.42 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $39.42.

Turn: ($158.34) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($158.34) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $158.34
<font color="green">Main Pot: $158.34, between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($158.34).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Ts (three of a kind, tens).
CO shows 6h 7s (two pair, tens and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $158.34. </font>
Old 06-16-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: could I get away from TPTK here?

yeah i would get away pretty easily. i would probably call his re-raise and see if i like the turn. if not, i saved my stack. in this case you hit your 10. what the hell do you think he would re-raise with? i would be thinking 2 pr at minimum. now that i think about it, i might fold on the flop when he raises it. i definitely would not push or call an allin though.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:28 AM

Don't raise if a reraise makes you sick.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:16 AM

"loose, passive?"
This and the experience that many passive players min raise with their strong hands makes me think you should fold to the min raise.

-Ezcheeze
Old 06-16-2004, 03:38 AM

I instafold this hand to a reraise (and probably to a raise) without thinking twice about it. I can't imagine someone playing JT-JK anywhere near this hard. The only time I'd even consider calling here is if I were up against a player that routinely pushed with straight draws but tended to slow play big hands.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:22 AM

This is a very self defeating reraise. Looks like either you raised for the wrong reason here, or didn't think ahead enough when making the raise

I am assuming you re-raised for information purposes here, which is OK. Re-raising here is an option as it often allows you to get away from the hand cheaper if you are dominated. (another raise over the flop signals easy fold). However, the combination of your raise amount and the short stacks made you committed:

"I figured I only needed to win something like 25% of the time to make a call break-even (given the betting to that point), so I called"

Essentially, you reraised to see where you are (im assuming, raising to get more money in the pot or any other reason is bad here), but then you committed yourself in the meantime. You are raising so you can get away easier from a better hand, but at the same time your raise made it very difficult to get away from your hand.

When you add this together with the fact taht you have him noted as passive, and he min-raised you, it should be easy to get away from this. As for what I would do, most times i would just fold and move on, but other times I will call and even raise depending on other factors not mentioned here.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:35 AM

In my limited PL/NL experience, a call, let alone a raise
of your TPTK pot-sized bet spells trouble.
Being out of position doesn't help.
I either call the raise, then check fold if I don't
improve, or fold directly to the raise.

4gapper.