Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Bad Run

I am the midst of a very bad run of cards. Now, I understand that no matter how bad this run is there are plenty of people out there who have experienced worse. This is not a bad beat tale, or a wo is me sob story.

I'm more interested in getting into some of your heads to find out how you all go about combating the inevitable bad runs that naturally occur in Poker, particularly Hold em.

I've always just played through it, and eventually it turns and everything is great again. I think I subconciously tighten up during the losing periods, but I was wondering if this only prolongs the streak instead of minimizing its effects on the bankroll.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

- Pokergod
Old 06-15-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Bad Run

When I find myself in a similar situation, I tend get frustrated as anyone would. And as you know frustrated poker player will not play as good. But I find what helps me is to play tight just for a while. Grab a beer, read your opponents, and come back aggressive when you get better cards. Playing a few hands tight like this may just throw off your opponent’s ability to read you, especially if they are not familiar with you.

I’d be interested to know how other people attack this common problem as well. I am by no means a professional, …so pros what of it?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:23 AM

I recall the mantra I learned from "Zen and the Art of Poker"

"My purpose here is to fold."
Old 06-15-2004, 01:11 PM

First of all, the following is actual mathematical fact: Luck is NOT like waves on an ocean where once you see one starting you can pretty much guess how big it will be (surfers do that). Nope; it can stop at any time. You are never ON a bad streak, but you HAVE BEEN on a bad streak up until now. Therefore this is no such thing as "prolonging your bad luck".

Second: Holdem bad streaks are a lot less than most other games; because its harder to draw out.

Third: when you are on a bad streak ..err.. have been on a bad steak two things happen: [1] its distracting to you and YOU PLAY WORSE, and [2] its enheartening to the opponents and THEY PLAY BETTER. This psycological reality trumps the mathemetical reality of the first paragraph: these streaks perpetuate themselves.

Tighten up because you are playing worse and they are playing better. In fact, tighten up a lot and wait until you win one fair and square.

Change those negative feelings into negative energy, then put that energy to good use. Such as rereading those dusty Poker books or keeping track of hands and working a couple extra out after each session. Clean out the car. Run around the block. Do something that will make you feel better afterwards; then go and play.

- Louie
Old 06-15-2004, 02:15 PM

All you can do is keep your head up. That's all. Sometimes it's best to take time off, sometimes you should play. I think the most important thing to do is talk about your play (in general) with someone who knows your game well.

Then, develop a specific plan to get back on the horse, and stick with it, no matter how boring or painful it is.

At least, this is what I've been doing, and believe me, things have been tough of late for this Sucker.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 PM

I highly recommend taking time off. An hour, a day, a week or two, whatever. There's no shame at all in it.

The poker tables will ALWAYS be there.

I think streaks can limit the ability to really judge what's happening and play your best, no matter who you are. It's best not to try to fight human nature -- your OWN nature -- but just to accept that being human, with enough bad luck, you're probably going to be in big danger of playing like crap. You need to get away from the table BEFORE you notice you're playing like crap, because at that point it's probably already too late and you've been playing like crap for a long time already.

Better to assume you're human than superhuman and just back off if you hit a bad streak sometimes, unless you eventually become the kind of character who doesn't have to even ask if he's playing right when he goes on a bad luck streak. Few of us are emotionally controlled enough to never have to ask that question, though.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recall the mantra I learned from "Zen and the Art of Poker"

"My purpose here is to fold."

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice from a good book.

I just wanted to say that the advice so far has struck me as sound. (the only one that didn't come off very well is taking time off. time off is fine but if it takes you more than a day or two you may need to find a new hobby) I agree with the tightening of the game. The best thing to do while playing tight and folding regularly is to pay super close attention to the players at your table(s). Just because you're not in the hand doesn't mean nothing is going on. This is a great oppertunity to gather notes on players. You may be able to learn something useful from another player's play, or see a leak in someone's game that you can exploit. Use the extra time wisely. Use it to make yourself better. Then when you come out of the bad run you'll be a better player.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:59 AM

Go play for fake money and go all in every hand for 2 hours. Take 6 shots of jack daniels. Masturbate to the girl you always liked in high school. Your aces will hold up now.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:29 AM

Well they didn't for me.

Ejnar Pik, Southern-docks.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:35 AM

Hi Pokerg-d:

My advice is to tighten up a little on your starting hands and call a little more liberally on the end. When you run bad your judgement can begin to fail. So those marginal plays may now become losers. This will help to combat it.

Also, you might discover that you began to play a little too lose while you were winning.

best wishes,
Mason