Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 07:42 AM

Default A request to all the regulars here:

Please look at this tourny hand I played over the weekend. This particular hand has been bugging me for days, and I need to know what you guys think the correct play is, I value all opinions and criticism..

I'll post results later

thanx
Old 06-14-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: A request to all the regulars here:

while i may or may not be considered by peers as a "regular", i started out in NL home tourneys. Here's my thoughts:

1) should have raised at least 1000 (to 1500) PF. The fact that the player flat called and is aggressive is interesting. Wouldn't he raise with an Ace/x? any pocket pair?

Has the player a history of trapping, or is he consistently aggressive?

I personally would make the player for a small-middle pair, 22 through 77; not enough to raise PF if he hates pockets, but enough to call a min raise.

2) on the flop you have TP. it's huge, but it depends on your reads; if he went in with 44/55, you're praying for a 3. However, i don't think it's enough to fold here, so i would call.

The question is - can you outplay the guy heads up after folding this hand? if you fold here, you're 50-50, and you either play flops or play pushes.

Given my style of play, i'd call this and hope to see an overpair, 66-99.

A technical issue: heads up, if you are BB and he was SB, you should be first to act post-flop. In this instance, he was first to act. did you get this wrong? or do you play SB acts first pre- and post-flop?

Usually when it gets HU, SB is first to act pre-flop and BB is first to act post flop.

Hope you got my ideas along with the drivel,
Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 06-14-2004, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that the player flat called and is aggressive is interesting. Wouldn't he raise with an Ace/x? any pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this would worry me. When solid players limp into very short-handed pots in NL I usually get a little concerned.

And yes, raising just the BB amount is weak. If you're going to bother with the raise, make it a meaningful amount (3-4x BB amount). Raising just 1xBB is often what you see weaker players do when they like there hand but don't really like their hand. I tend to agree with those who say you should raise the same amount pf regardless. Although there obviously have to be some adjustments when you are nearing the end of a tournament and your stack is small relative to the blind amount. I think I would have raised this to T1000 or T1500 as you said. But I would lay it down if SB came back over the top pf.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) should have raised at least 1000 (to 1500) PF. The fact that the player flat called and is aggressive is interesting. Wouldn't he raise with an Ace/x? any pocket pair?

Has the player a history of trapping, or is he consistently aggressive?

The question is - can you outplay the guy heads up after folding this hand? if you fold here, you're 50-50, and you either play flops or play pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wins more than his fair share of cards. Players that play cautiously against him, and he buys pots a lot because of it. The raise is small cuz I want to see the flop. we've been folding blinds back and forth a lot. Plus, even the min raise is a significant chunk of a stack here.

[ QUOTE ]
A technical issue: heads up, if you are BB and he was SB, you should be first to act post-flop. In this instance, he was first to act. did you get this wrong? or do you play SB acts first pre- and post-flop?

Usually when it gets HU, SB is first to act pre-flop and BB is first to act post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true, we were playing wrong. That's kind of an embarrassing amatuer mistake.. I thought the button always had the advantage of going last, when it got HU, we even questioned it and decided BB==button and always went last. I'll take notice next SnG I play, but anyway, that's how the hand happened.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:19 AM

don't worry about the technical mistake. I still can't convince my original home gamers to change their ways. But i still beat them anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for the "my raise was a significant chunk" comment, you shouldn't be thinking this way. You need to raise to establish your hand, or fold. a min raise is as bad as flat calling at this late stage. By minraising, you got yourself in a position of trouble where raising 3-4xBB would have better defined the situation, either he would have reraised PF or been more wary about pushing postflop.

You shouldn't be thinking "a 3x/4xBB raise puts most of my stack in the middle". If you have the best of it, you WANT to do this.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 06-14-2004, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't be thinking "a 3x/4xBB raise puts most of my stack in the middle". If you have the best of it, you WANT to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, point taken.

Do you call the all-in flop bet?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't have made the minimum raise preflop...I either would have checked or made a larger raise. In this situation with position I would rather just take the flop since my hand can't stand a re-raise anyway.
I wouldn't be able to get away from my hand given the stack sizes in question and the fact that I have outs if behind.
On the other hand, since you raised it's easy for him to put you on an ace in which case I'm not sure if he would make this play with a hand you beat.
Against normal players I might fold this but since the man in question is an aggressive player, I think you have to call here.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, since you raised it's easy for him to put you on an ace in which case I'm not sure if he would make this play with a hand you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I'm saying I have 'something' with a small raise, but I could have pocket 7's or something like that too.. Now that I think about it, his going all-in against a PF raiser is a pretty brazen move, he probably has a more dangerous hand than I originally thought.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Results

Results here...
Old 06-14-2004, 11:57 AM

you'd have to have a stone cold read to lay this down. Given the players calling your minraise bet i still like to think he's on a low PP, rather than being tricksy.

I call it down, thinking i'll see 66-88 before AK or Ax with higher kicker. To lay it down makes you 50-50 on chips and possibly on tilt. And, despite saying you will be almost dead, i have come back from having 1/12th of chips in play (2BB) to win before.

However, since the play has been bugging you, i think he will show a set of 44/55 and you'll miss the straight...

Still, that remains to be seen.

Regards,
Pete Harris