Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Home tourney hand where i busted

2 tables, 16 participants originally. We started at 2 eighthanded tables, 1000 chips, and when it was down to 8 people, we merged. We are down to 6 players, 4 spots pay.

I had about T1600, a little shortstacked. Blinds at 100/200, when this hand occured:

I find K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. Folded to CO who minraises to 400. He has been stealing some, and is quite a tough opponent. He isn't the sort of clueless guy, he has a general idea of what he is doing. He have me barely covered. I decide to call. Mistake #1 I believe. Big blind calls.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Big blind checks, CO checks. I have about potsize, so I move in. Bad move? Big blind folds, CO calls. You already know I busted here, but what do you put CO on?

Any other comments?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:45 PM

Default KK/AA

I would have said KQ but he probably would have bet the flop rather than let it be checked through so I think you got burned by a monster hand.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: KK/AA

Yup, no miracle backdoor flush came when he flipped KK. Should I have folded preflop or checked through on the flop?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have folded preflop or checked through on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have to know the CO regarding folding, calling or raising pre-f. KJ is not a great hand but if the CO steals very often then you may want to re-raise him and see if he really likes his hand. With your stack size in relation to the blind a re-raise would probably pot commit you anyway so if you opt to raise him you may as well push it right there. If the CO is a relentless stealer and respects your raises then re-raising all in may be the play. If the CO has decent standards and doesn't steal very often then folding and waiting for a better hand to move with is probably best.

Calling and moving in on the flop doesn't seem too bad to me but I don't play many NL tournaments. If you decide to play and he's got KK and you flop top pair its tough to avoid busting out IMO. You HAVE to bet this flop, if you feel that this flop is checkable then you should have folded pre-flop. You were looking for King here and you got it.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:52 AM

You can't let the flop check through. If it's checked to you, you should move in just as you did.

Preflop, I would almost never call the raise cold, especially with a smaller stack. Depending on what I know about the CO and what his "mini-raises" are likely to mean, I would move in or fold with folding being the much more common play.

If I'm calling a raise cold in this spot, I'm usually the one with the monster (AA, KK, maybe QQ), I want action, and I think he'll fold if I shove.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Home tourney hand where i busted

I could be wrong, but I say this is a fold/all in situation preflop. Calling 25% of your stack is just not a prudent play in my book. I'd fold and wait for a better spot.